HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: a little wheel quiz...
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:36 pm 

Regarding lacing of rear wheels (dished, naturally)...

In the past, rear wheels were always laced with some degree of crossing (tangential) of the spokes. When radial lacing became chic, rear wheels always had the drive side laced with a crossing pattern while the non-drive could be radial.

Now we have Mavic Ksyriums, Spinergy Spox R1 and R2's laced with exactly OPPOSITE methodology. The drive side is laced RADIALLY and the non-drive is tangential. There are others too.

And now for the question (essay, no multiple guess, this is an engineering physics question). What made radial drive side lacing possible in a commercial wheel?

Post subject: a little wheel quiz...
Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:46 pm 

Weisse Luft wrote:
Regarding lacing of rear wheels (dished, naturally)...

In the past, rear wheels were always laced with some degree of crossing (tangential) of the spokes. When radial lacing became chic, rear wheels always had the drive side laced with a crossing pattern while the non-drive could be radial.

Now we have Mavic Ksyriums, Spinergy Spox R1 and R2's laced with exactly OPPOSITE methodology. The drive side is laced RADIALLY and the non-drive is tangential. There are others too.

And now for the question (essay, no multiple guess, this is an engineering physics question). What made radial drive side lacing possible in a commercial wheel?

Large diameter hub shells that allow the torque to be transferred to the non drive side spokes.

It's necessary with such wheel "systems" because of the lack of room on the drive side for such bulky spokes and their attachment at the hub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:55 pm 

Just guessing.....larger flange on the drive side and smaller on the non-drive side to even out tension?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:10 pm 

We have a winner! Good job, Ye Olde Balde One!

Now for the survey. Has anyone (else) tried this lacing pattern?

Yes, as implied, I have. Not with just any hub/rim combo but with the American Classic 225 hub and 350 rims(back when they were available). I used my employer's solid modeling and FEA software to model the components with pretension of the spokes. Much to my surprise, the static tension of the drive side is most stable at 80% of the non-drive side. When drive torque is applied, the maximum windup for my gearing/weight just causes the tension to equalize.

All DT Revolution spokes with Spline Drive nipples. The spokes, nipples, hub and rim were lubricated on the contacting surfaces with dry film lubricant to prevent galling. Build was uneventful and quite easy with the shop Spline Drive wrench.

After 3+ thousand careful miles, only slight truing was required. My initial concern over spoke/hub fretting on the drive side has not proved to be a problem if the wheels are kept clean. If the spokes get oil/grease on the sockets, the slight windup angle makes some noise but cleaning and reapplication of dry film lube cures this. I just have to keep them clean ;)