running campagnolo on shimano wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michael

by michael

Hi

I have a pair of the new Shimano full carbon wheels 50mm.

Is it possible to run a campagnolo cassette on this wheels?

Does shimano or an other brands make these body's?

I don't want to run a special cassette like mavic that fits shimano body and campagnolo chain.

I prefer a campagnolo bpdy for this shimano wheel...

But I guess that's impossible because it has dura ace hubs?

Last option; put a record hub in it? :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Look up the Jtek shiftmate - that should solve your problem, well, at least to make shifting nearly perfect.

The other option is trying to contact forum member Tristan, who has been compiling a list of crossover capabilities and how to combat them.

kleiner

by kleiner

I am riding Shimano 10s DA cassettes with campa record 10s derailleurs and shifters - works perfect + shimano DA cassettes are much cheeeper than campa Rec cassettes at lower weight

michael

by michael

ok that's interesting...

but I have several wheelsets and I always keep chain and cassette with eachother... that means I have 1 cassette and change it all the time from wheel to wheel :roll:

i prefer a body that fits campa cassette and my shimano wheel with dura ace hubs... does that exist?

Sprinter

by Sprinter

http://www.marchisio.de/

Been using one for years. Well made, and lightish.

frd

by frd

You got a full carbon wheel which usually isn't very cheap, why don't you just get a Dura Ace cassette, and if your existing chain is worn and skips just buy a new Dura Ace one (which will work just fine with your existing campy cassette)...

Come on it's max $35 and you won't have to change cassette everytime you want to swap wheels!

xpert

by xpert

kleiner wrote:I am riding Shimano 10s DA cassettes with campa record 10s derailleurs and shifters - works perfect + shimano DA cassettes are much cheeeper than campa Rec cassettes at lower weight

So do i no problem at all with the compatibility!!!

michael

by michael

frenk wrote:You got a full carbon wheel which usually isn't very cheap, why don't you just get a Dura Ace cassette, and if your existing chain is worn and skips just buy a new Dura Ace one (which will work just fine with your existing campy cassette)...

Come on it's max $35 and you won't have to change cassette everytime you want to swap wheels!

I change wheels every race (shimano- bora - borag3 - eurus) but I don't run 4 cassettes because thats $$$$$$$ and I prefer to keep 1 cassette and 1 chain with eachother so I can get like 20000k out of 1 set, and I can't take the risk a chain will slip during a race... my friend ended up in the hospital because of this :cry:

michael

by michael

ok on the Marchisio site I see 3 types of bodys. 1 of them is for campa 10v. But can I mount them on a shimano hub?

frd

by frd

michael wrote:
frenk wrote:You got a full carbon wheel which usually isn't very cheap, why don't you just get a Dura Ace cassette, and if your existing chain is worn and skips just buy a new Dura Ace one (which will work just fine with your existing campy cassette)...

I change wheels every race (shimano- bora - borag3 - eurus) but I don't run 4 cassettes because thats $$$$$$$ and I prefer to keep 1 cassette and 1 chain with eachother so I can get like 20000k out of 1 set, and I can't take the risk a chain will slip during a race... my friend ended up in the hospital because of this :cry:

Maybe it's just me, but if your existing campy cassette is in good condition, a new chain will work fine.
So you fit a new (Dura Ace) chain on your bike and the bora/borag3/eurus will work ok.
Then get a Dura Ace cassette for the shimano wheel. It won't skip as the cassette is new and so is the chain.
I don't see the problem. If the new chain skips on the campy cassette then the campy cassette needs to be replaced anyway.

Just my .2$

michael

by michael

this is the discussion wheter you keep 1 chain and cassete with eachother till they are complete worn out...

or you change your chain every 3k or so to keep your cassette in good condition.

I go for option 1. so my cassette is always is terrible condition but so is my chain, and together they work fine >20k. :D

toko

by toko

Don't waist your time with cassetes as amc or similars.use your Dura Ace 10 sp cogs on your Record drivetrain.It will work better than others ones.
Last edited by toko on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il Pirata,come te nessuno mai più !

Kuiper

by Kuiper

michael wrote:I change wheels every race (shimano- bora - borag3 - eurus) but I don't run 4 cassettes because thats $$$$$$$ and I prefer to keep 1 cassette and 1 chain with eachother so I can get like 20000k out of 1 set, and I can't take the risk a chain will slip during a race... my friend ended up in the hospital because of this :cry:

altought I thought money was not a big issue for you with your sale % marges on bike stuff that you buy in Belgium :lol:
get a DA Casette

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

kleiner wrote:I am riding Shimano 10s DA cassettes with campa record 10s derailleurs and shifters - works perfect + shimano DA cassettes are much cheeeper than campa Rec cassettes at lower weight

for some reason, i tried using da 10 with campy record drivetrain.....it didn't shift well in the higher gears no matter what i did to try to fine tune.....so i ended up getting american classic campy conversion.....you can't go wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michael

by michael

so there are no body's for shimano hubs that fit campa sprockets???