New camera - pics of TT setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chicane

by chicane

Well, it's probably more accurately called a tri setup than TT, as I do compromise for comfort in the front a bit. It's an Aegis Trident frame 54cm in 650c - this is my most successful attempt at getting low in front with 650c wheels and my poorly sized legs (5'11" total, 36.5" inseam). Custom painted (by me, it's not that great of a job) frame and stem. It's generally around 18.5lbs with the Spartacus Pro wheels shown, 18 with Nimble Crosswinds, and 17.4 with Corima Mediums.

I had Profile T2+ aerobars on here for a couple of weeks, but could not get used to the feel of them. I had them mounted under the base bars with the pads screwed directly to the flat section of the T2 base bar for the lowest possible position. Drop in that configuration was just shy of 18cm. NOT comfortable for me though. Wrist angle was too hard to hold for extended periods of time, and I always felt like I was holding a lot of weight back with my shoulders. I never tried them on this bike in their intended over the bar positioning...this likely would have been more successful, but the point was to get as low as possible without changing the stem.

Currently with the Vision bars it's more like 16.8 - 17.0cm depending on the exact angle I have them tipped at on any given day. I play with that a lot looking for optimal comfort. Adjustable stem is on order and should arrive in a couple of days. It is a shame to get rid of the stem as it looks right at home here, but I feel like there's a bit more to be gained on the aero front.
Attachments
scaled-rear.jpg
scaled-cockpit-side.jpg
scaled-full-view.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmh

by jmh

Do you still have the 25mm spacers under the pads or did you change them to the 12.5mm spacers?

chicane

by chicane

These are the 12.5 mm spacers. I have actually run them with cut down screws and no spacers as well, but that didn't work well for several reasons; I like the flex that they have currently (not much, but enough to add a bit of comfort), and the positioning of my elbows is exactly perfect so that my knees and elbows can overlap at their narrowest points. When I used them without the spacers, I had to move the pads out to the widest setting which made my shoulders ache quite a bit as well.

For now all I can see in the improvement area is a down-angled stem (which I loath, but such is life)

Chris

NGMN

by NGMN

Are you sure you need more drop??

I ride a QRoo Caliente in 650s with Zipp 303s, and I just picked up some Jet 90s. It's good to see other 650 bikes. My Caliente comes in at just under 16 pounds with my 303s, Ultegra, Hed Cliplites and an Selle SLK saddle. I ride about 14-15cm of drop but my FA doesn't go down when I get in the 16-18cm range.

I may just sell the Jet 90 front when I get it, any interest in something really deep?

chicane

by chicane

Honestly, no I don't know that I need more drop. I can ride more drop comfortably, so it's something I want to explore. My legs and arms are long, so even though I have a lot of drop, I may not be all that low. Making some videos of this current position is on my list of stuff to do this weekend. Obviously I will have to do power testing to make sure I am maintaining that as I go lower. My only power metering device is a Schwinn Velodyne, so I can't test outdoors :-(

NGMN wrote:Are you sure you need more drop??

I may just sell the Jet 90 front when I get it, any interest in something really deep?

I have been considering a pair of Jet 90's actually. Haven't decided if I want to go with clinchers or tubbies yet -- all of my race wheels are tubular right now, but I am not against expanding a bit more. The Hed hubs make me want to vomit though.

Frasertri

by Frasertri

I too have a nice Aegis Trident (with 650 wheels) 8)
Attachments
FixedAegis_2.jpg

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

My only question is what in the world is that crazy looking attachment behind your saddle?

Water carrier obviously, but what is it supposed to resemble...?

NGMN

by NGMN

It's got a different crank now and that Hed3d was borrowed. Our bikes both have orange flames with 650 wheels 8) ... Nice.

Oh and to keep this on topic, my bike is a little under 16 with one water bottle cage and my 303s.
Attachments
QRcon dancing shoes2.JPG

Frasertri

by Frasertri

RollinOn27s wrote:My only question is what in the world is that crazy looking attachment behind your saddle?

Water carrier obviously, but what is it supposed to resemble...?

That's a Never Reach drink system, painted to match! It has been called the 'Bike Bong', and the 'Enema'..... by my riding buddies...

I have read a lot of debate on whether these are more aero than other systems, but I would point out:
No need to move but an inch to drink, so efficiency and position never compromised (how much drag each time you reach for that bottle??)
Holds 64 oz of fluid, so don't need frequent refilling :)

chicane

by chicane

The never reach system is a definate possibility for a lot of riders. It's effectiveness (aerodynamically speaking) comes from proper placement behind the rider so as to remain a part of the flow coming off of a rider's back.
I tried one awhile ago, but was never comfortable with the aerodynamics of the system given my preferred effective seat tube angle of ~80 degrees. Same goes for the Profile Aqua Rack and things like that... Everytime I took pictures or videos of rides with those on the back, you can tell that they are giant sails, many inches past where air would stay attached to my back.

I agree though that coming out of the aerobars is bad, so I use a front-mounted JetStream system with a 24oz seat-tube bottle as backup. Those two hold enough to get me through 60 miles of riding or so.

Adjustable stem came in the mail today. Will soon see whether or not I can comfortable handle additional drop.

Chris

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

How far behind the centre of the BB is the nose of the saddle veritcally, it doesn't look like much? Is it UCI legal? Maybe you only use it for tris, where you don't have to folow UCI rules?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

I think all of us are triathletes who have posted their bikes. However, in all U.S. time trials except a very few UCI rules don't apply.