Cheap lightweight brakes and more.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

staggerlee

by staggerlee

For all you out there who want lighter brakes but can't afford the unaffordable ones, check out www.wiggle.co.uk
and put in a search for - Dia-Compe BRS200 Road Calliper Brake - this will direct you to the BRS200 caliper which sells for £17.49. I use them on my 14.5lb Principia and have just came back from a week in Mallorca and with descents at
70+kph they stopped me just fine.

I have upgraded mine with better pads and some Ti/Alloy bolts I had in my spares box.

If you are feeling flush with cash then splash out on the - Dia-Compe BRS9000 Ti Road Calipers - and for £39.95 you get a 125g brake.

Also, lighten up your Dura ace rear mech with an SRP Alloy bolt (less than a Tenner) and save 9g (my Dura ace r/mech weighs 186g).

And finally, is anyone else using the Nokon STI concealed cables? (see pic) I think they are really slick looking - what do you guys think?
Attachments
Principia.JPG
Principia front.JPG
Principia bars.JPG

Hereford Flyer

by Hereford Flyer

Nice looking bike - just wondered were you bought the SRP bolt in the UK?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

staggerlee

by staggerlee

Nice Black anodized bolt from Mikes Bikes, Mill Road, Cambridge

If you have any problems getting one, mail me and I'll see what I can do for you.

cheers
Staggerlee

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I had a pair or dia compe brs 200 sl ti brakes, I sold them because they didn't have enough stopping power, Im 75 kg and not a hard core descender, but those brakes weren't powerfull enough I switched to ultegra, then to record and wouldn't go back to dia compe.

staggerlee

by staggerlee

I'm 76kg and am a pretty hardcore descender (57mph was my top speed ever!!) and I find them okay really. Who need to stop on a dime anyway?
You'll probably hit it before you you can slow down enough to avoid it!

If it's light it's not always sh*te

Staggerlee

kingtom

by kingtom

staggerlee wrote:I'm 76kg and am a pretty hardcore descender (57mph was my top speed ever!!)...

hm.... that isn't sooooo fast. or? over 60mph i had sometimes. o.k. i'm living between the alps. here i've got some hot downhills, and i would say that i'm also a little hardcore descender. :wink:

sorry, for off-topic :D

mises

by mises

I sure wish wiggle sold to the US. They are about the only UK shop that doesn't.

Though they aren't that light I am sticking with my Mavic SSC brakes. I am on a waiting list for the AX ones but will probably chicken out when it's time to come up with the large wad of cash. Hard to justify the price when my employer is at or past the point of going under.

martin

by martin

staggerlee wrote:For all you out there who want lighter brakes but can't afford the unaffordable ones, check out www.wiggle.co.uk

Good Tip! these are the basis for both the FRM and the Cane Creek brakes, so if you have access to Al or Ti bolts and nuts you can make a nice lightweight inexpensive brake from these!

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Guys, there's a bloke in Andover who can do you most of the SRP shebang. All he can't do for shimano is the full srp brake kit. He's got everything else I think

Hereford Flyer

by Hereford Flyer

Marlboro Man wrote:Guys, there's a bloke in Andover who can do you most of the SRP shebang. All he can't do for shimano is the full srp brake kit. He's got everything else I think

Do you have any contact details for him?
Thanks.

kite flyer

by kite flyer

A couple of days before staggerlee posted I too found these brakes on wiggle and thought 250g of brakes for £80 seems good.

Given the flatish roads around here, plus my previous good experiance of single pivot brakes, and the cost of other lightweight versions I thought I'd buy a pair and put them away for the new bike build later this year.

I'll post actual weights when they arrive.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Haven't forgotten about your request. Looking for address book with details. Will post the details here ASAP. While you wait, have a look for any bolts other than the ordinary as the bloke has a tray full of Ti bolts as well as the standard SRP kits. Real Aladdin's cave.

jesper

by jesper

Hi Staggerlee

Do you know anybody else who sels these types of brakes in England and will ship them to Denmark..........??

I think they are very interesting and will look fine on my Specialized.....

Jesper

staggerlee

by staggerlee

Hi Jesper

I don't know of any other shops that sell these brakes at this price and as Wiggle don't post abroad I can only suggest one other option. If you were to order from Wiggle and deliver to me I will send them to you in Denmark. If you can mail me direct, we can exchange addresses and sort something out.

You can totally trust me on this.

cheers
Staggerlee

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jesper

by jesper

Hi Staggerlee

I have been to Wiggle's homepage and found some items I'm interested in.

- 2 pcs of Specialized Rib Cage Pro, bottlecage, White
- Dia-compe BRS9000 Ti road calipers, front and rear
- Continental Grand Prix Attack/Force tyres

Grand total price of 134,51 Pounds!!!

What would be Your price including sending these items to Denmark, I will pay when i receive the goods !!

Jesper