One more Lightweight Wheel question..........

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

Since these wheels have woven spokes (as opposed to metallic) how do they interface at the hub body? Are they true-able? Do they have nipples or is the rim/spoke/hub a single entity?

Then I also wonder how they could make the DT Swiss rear hub an option because obviously this hub would use a conventional spoke.

And finally since I assume that somehow it is true-able does one have remove the tire to gain access to the "nipple"...........

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

the hub isn't a DT, its the wratchet and freehub assembly that is DT. The hub body is carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

C-40 wrote:Since these wheels have woven spokes (as opposed to metallic) how do they interface at the hub body? Are they true-able? Do they have nipples or is the rim/spoke/hub a single entity?

Then I also wonder how they could make the DT Swiss rear hub an option because obviously this hub would use a conventional spoke.

And finally since I assume that somehow it is true-able does one have remove the tire to gain access to the "nipple"...........

Many Questions :D

1) The spokes are not woven. They consist of 3 aramide (kevlar) and 2 carbon rowings, laminated together in lens shape.
2) The hub body is made of carbon. The spokes are laminated to the body.
3) The spokes have no nipples. The spokes are fully laminated to the hubshell and rim, there is no mechanical connection.
4) Because rim, spokes and hub ARE a single entity, they cannot get out of true in normal use
5) The body of the DT-Swiss hub is modified to fit into our carbon hubshell. E.g. it has no flanges.
6)The wheels CAN be trued if really necessary. It is one of our secrets HOW this can be done 8)

You must stop thinking of Lightweights as "conventional" wheels. The construction is so much different from wheelbuilding as one knows it.

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

Carbonsports can you read the last 3 messages in this topic: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 4&start=15

C-40

by C-40

4) Because rim, spokes and hub ARE a single entity, they cannot get out of true in normal use.

There seems to be some disagreement about this "fact"- what do users of the product think here..........????????

spytech

by spytech

C-40 wrote:4) Because rim, spokes and hub ARE a single entity, they cannot get out of true in normal use.

There seems to be some disagreement about this "fact"- what do users of the product think here..........????????

the reason that they are a no maintenance wheelset is what attracts me, besides of their stiffness, aero profile, and ligth weight (their are lighter and more aero wheels - just not as stiff as the lightweights though).

even if they went out of true, their is nothing i could do to true them. i would like to hear from owners about thier exp. with them, and has anyone had a set go out of true, and what was the reason they went out of true.

TIA

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:
C-40 wrote:4) Because rim, spokes and hub ARE a single entity, they cannot get out of true in normal use.

the reason that they are a no maintenance wheelset is what attracts me, besides of their stiffness, aero profile, and ligth weight (their are lighter and more aero wheels - just not as stiff as the lightweights though).

even if they went out of true, their is nothing i could do to true them. i would like to hear from owners about thier exp. with them, and has anyone had a set go out of true, and what was the reason they went out of true.

TIA

To use in NYC? Your crazy!
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:

TIA

To use in NYC? Your crazy!

hehe, well where else would i use them, im not going to move for my wheels. :lol:

im just hoping they would stand up to some nyc pot holes :roll: