Fibre Lyte Chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TeschnerBoy

by TeschnerBoy

I have seen on the lightbikes postings that some guys are running carbon fibre chainrings. Has anybody used these and if so how have you found them? Are they purely just for show?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Technerboy :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veldt01

by veldt01

Hi,

Last year I got a pair for free and tested them. They work fine (but alows more flex and cause some noise) just as long one takes notice that they last only little more than 700 miles in dry conditions!
I would't buy them, in the meantime I've seen an Italian using chainrings from carbon with aluminium teeth. Although it looked a lot like home made it looked more promising than the full carbon version.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Supposedly the chainrings aren’t too good for intense sprinting,
>Pro Sprinter’s would not use them

However, these chainrings would be perfect for climbing bikes! Perhaps, using a carbon inner ring would be a good idea...

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

You have to be careful when running a double set with carbon. The shifting from one ring to the next is what damages them the most. I have seen a couple of single ring TT set up with them and heard good things.

I you want to save weight on an inner ring, see if cycle dynamics will build one for you in Ti. I know they do MTB rings not sure on road ones.

I have a road rear cassette from them that is totally sweet. Light and as each ring is seperate you can make a huge range of combinations. I can run from a 26 - 14 to a 19 -11 with the set up i got

cadence90

by cadence90

nzkiwiguy wrote:[snip]
I you want to save weight on an inner ring, see if cycle dynamics will build one for you in Ti. I know they do MTB rings not sure on road ones.

If Cycle Dynamics can't, Boone will:
http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

cadence90 wrote

Cool they do a 50/38 combo almost defeats the need for a compact

cadence90

by cadence90

nzkiwiguy wrote:cadence90 wrote

Cool they do a 50/38 combo almost defeats the need for a compact

They can make any size actually, not just the listed ones, as long as it fits the BCD of course.
Expensive, but really nice rings.
E-mail Brett: he'll respond asap I'm sure.
On a 50/38, the weight of an outer road ring is around 80g and the middle would be around 32g.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

cadence90 wrote:They can make any size actually, not just the listed ones, as long as it fits the BCD of course.
On a 50/38, the weight of an outer road ring is around 80g and the middle would be around 32g.

How much can you save on the FSA superlight crank with 53/39 when you replace the chainrings with Boone Titanium Chainrings?

How many kilometers can you make on them?

divve

by divve

In most cases chain rings are made from aluminum. Why would Ti make them lighter?

Villadsen

by Villadsen

They can be lighter because there is a lot less material in them compared to alu. The Boone chainrings are made out of a relative thin titanium plate (at least the ones that Bruce made a couple of years ago) and therefore you might need some thin spacers in order to position them correctly. Shifting is not quite as good as Campagnolo because of the missing chain lifters. I have a triple set on my MTB and they are basically indestructable. Much much stronger than any alu ring that I ever had.

cadence90

by cadence90

Paul_nl wrote:
cadence90 wrote:They can make any size actually, not just the listed ones, as long as it fits the BCD of course.

How much can you save on the FSA superlight crank with 53/39 when you replace the chainrings with Boone Titanium Chainrings?

How many kilometers can you make on them?

As far as weight, the Boone with SRP or tune chainring bolts would weigh +/- 122g (80 + 32 + 10). I don't know what the FSA rings/bolts weigh (I will weigh this weekend because I am interested), but Tiso would be +/- 144g, Campa would be +/- 160g, so you would be looking at between 22 and 38g savings I presume; if the FSA rings weigh more than Campa even more weight savings then.

As far as durability, I think the titanium will be very durable, people write that they ride them forever.

Here's a quote from Boone for those running Campa 10 drivetrain (when I was asking about making a Campagnolo-compatible compact crankset):

"To make them compatible with campy 10 speed I have to mill .5 mm off the backside of the chainring to set the two rings closer together. It would be nice if campy offered a thinner spider instead of milling the back of the ring, but I guess they would rather have compatability with all spiders and use a special ring. Since that is the case, any 110mm will work fine. The few guys I have made these 10sp rings for were using FSA cranks, and they were pleased with the results. Let me know when you get ready or have any other questions.

Brett"

Nate2453

by Nate2453

Speaking of Cycle Dynamics. Does anyone have a web address or Phone # for them? I have one of their cassettes and they are incredible.

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

A friend of my told me today he say Tune Carbon Chainrings in a bikestore. He didn't know more about it but does somebody know more?

Or are the tune carbon chainrings the cainrings descripted at the start of this topic?

nikh

by nikh

I have or that might be, did have, a Tune catalogue at home that had the carbon chain rings listed.

I'll see if I can scan it tonight unless someone else provides more info.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Yes, tune offers Carbon chainrings called CarbonRings since a few weeks:

They're made in 39, 42, 52 and 53 T.
Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com