Thomson Masterpiece seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

Anyone out there riding a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost?
I'm thinking of getting one: road, setback.
How does it compare to ti or carbon on stiffness/absorption?

Edited:
What I mean is: is it as stiff as the Elite (which I personally found way too rigid)?
Is the setback Masterpiece more forgiving?
Last edited by cadence90 on Tue May 04, 2004 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

I just bought an Elite, which weighs 22g more than the Masterpiece. Then I measured the distance between the minmum insertion line and my riding position and cut off the 18mm I don't need from the bottom of the tube. That removed another 13g. So for $50 savings I am paying 9g in weight penalty.

As far as stiffness, etc., I have been on an Elite for the past four years and think they are a great seatpost. Compared to carbon they do not have the dampening quality. But that may have been my carbon post slipping into the seat-tube rather than dampening, as I could never get it hold before giving up and going back to the Elite.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

cadence90

by cadence90

Scapin/Dean wrote:I just bought an Elite, which weighs 22g more than the Masterpiece. Then I measured the distance between the minmum insertion line and my riding position and cut off the 18mm I don't need from the bottom of the tube. That removed another 13g. So for $50 savings I am paying 9g in weight penalty.

I don't quite follow... :? you would have cut the Masterpiece too, right?
So the weight difference would remain +/- 22g...right?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

Possibly. But the Masterpiece starts out 10mm shorter, so may not have the same amount to cut. The wall on the tubing may be thinner so the weight loss by cutting may be less. If I ever get a Masterpiece I'll make sure to post the results.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Talkin' about Thomson..... does anyone know when their 31,8 Stem will be available? lhthomson.com says 'spring 2004' :roll:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!