Eddy Merckx AXM on a Budget

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Fengshui

by Fengshui

Did not plan on getting another bike but I saw the price of this baby and simply could not resist. So I sold off my MTB, gave up the idea of upgrading my wheels, squeeze my kitty and bought it :D

Unfortunately, due to my budget constrains of $3800, I have to use a mix of new and 2nd hand components and training wheels. Only the frameset, shifters, front dee, BB, pedals, tyres, chain, cables, tubes, bar-tape are new. Current estimated cost is $3775.

Currently waiting for 11speed to come back from holidays so that I can get the shifters, front dee and BB.

A side question: The ITM Millenium Carbon stem, I understand it is carbon bonded to aluminium. What is its lifespan like? I have it for nearly 2 years (no crashes). Should I ditch it and get another stem (would be a $19 alloy stem though) instead?

Proposed Build

Frameset: Eddy Merckx AXM

Shifters: Campagnolo Record
Rear Dee: Campagnolo Record (140miles according to 1st owner)
Front Dee: Campagnolo Chorus (Record looks brittle!)
Crankset: Campagnolo Record carbon (<300km according to 1st owner)
BB: Campagnolo Record
Brakes: Campagnolo Record
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 9 speed (really tight budget!)
Chain: Campagnolo C9

Hubs: Campagnolo Record 02
Rims: Ambrosio Excel-light (not sure of the correct spelling)
Tyres: Kenda Kaliente

Pedals: Campagnolo Record Pro-Fit

Stem: ITM Millenium Carbon (real heavy but it is a spare part)
Handlebar: Fusion Alloy (Quality $25 bar that weighs 245g)
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Seatpost: Eddy Merckx (comes with frame)

by Weenie

Hyde

by Hyde

I bid on another AXM but having a bit of dificulty getting in contact with the seller. I hope it all works out THe AXM is an Awsome frame! I got the chance to see one up close. Congrats! Hope you are riding yours soon!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If you're not in a hurry to get your Record, why not try

http://www.comobike.com/en/main/frameset.php?PHPSESSID=f07ae36353ec721eeee951a0e5e31db5

Its also known as rullobikes to some of the members here. The '07 Ultra Torque should be available soon from the looks of it.

Perhaps it would be good to check with the guys here on the website. The price Ex-Vat for all its Italian products look extremely good!

divve

by divve

Not until September at least. Campy had some production delays and are going to be on vacation until the end of this month.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

If you don't already have the frame, you might want to wait until after eurobike/interbike. Eddy is releasing a second full monocoque carbon frame, almost identical in looks to the AXM but with a slightly lesser grade of carbon and at a lower price point.
View before posting!
Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

Fengshui

by Fengshui

Thing is, I got the AXM brand new from ebay at $2245 (inclusive of shipping)!

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

is it just me, or do merckxx bikes seem to be overpriced by about 25-40%?

nexusheli

by nexusheli

BBAGDAN wrote:is it just me, or do merckxx bikes seem to be overpriced by about 25-40%?

There's nothing overpriced about them at all. They have many different models, and they're spot on for Italian and Belgian made bikes. The AXM is the flagship model, at $4800 retail for frame, fork and seatpost, it's on par with Pinarello's Flagship Dogma FP at $4700. And considering the AXM is full monocoque, the manufacturing costs are through the roof and it's amazing the price point they were able to hit.

Their Premium scandium frame is spot on with Pegoretti's scandium Love #3, and their aluminum Racing is actually quite inexpensive compared to some other alu frames out of Italy.
View before posting!

Hyde

by Hyde

I always say...Why would I want it if I could afford it?!!

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Nex,

Is it true that all merckx bikes (alu and carbon) are made in taiwan now? Somebody at my lbs told me that recently, I found it a little hard to believe.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

brianwchan wrote:Nex,

Is it true that all merckx bikes (alu and carbon) are made in taiwan now? Somebody at my lbs told me that recently, I found it a little hard to believe.

It's possible some of the lower end bikes (Gara, Gentleman, Trekking) are made in taiwan, but everything from the Racing and 1XM up are made in Italy or Belgium. I find it hard to believe the lower end frames are made in asia either, because the quality on them continues to be impeccible and the pricing continues to be a little high for what they are, as one would expect if it were being made in Italy.

I know for a fact that the AXM and the new monocoque frame for '07 are both being made in Italy by Carbon Dream (the F1 shop).
View before posting!

by Weenie

divve

by divve

AXM is $2750 in Europe. If you're going to buy mail-order anyway I wouldn't even bother getting one in the US.