SRAM Force Installed!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
scott97

by scott97

Hey fellas!

I'm a long time lurker here and thought that I would pass on my first impressions of the new Force components that I had installed yesterday.

I had the components installed yesterday at my LBS (Buck's Bikes in Austin Texas).

A little bit about my bike.

Its a titanium Macalu on which I'm running ZG brakes, Dura Ace 10 speed cranks, M2 Racer Orb II pedals, M2 skewers, M2 seat post clamp, AC 420 rims, Thompson seat post and a Velo carbon seat.

The SRAM is replacing an Ultegra 9 setup (shifters, fr der, rear der only)

I elected to only install the shifters front and rear derailluer and cassette (Rival is the only SRAM cassette available for Force at the moment). I usually run a Dura Ace cassette and a KMC hollow point chain, but installed a Dura Ace chain while awaiting my replacement KMC.

My first impressions after a 20 mile shakedown run and a 20 mile fast group ride are favorable.

The shifting is really crisp, very solid and very quick. Big thumbs up here!

I find the hoods to be very comfortable and reminiscent of Campy hoods. It didn't take long to get used to the single push, double push setup and it became second nature very quickly.

I really like the ability to jump multiple gears and is one of my favorite features. Its especially useful when jumping from the small ring to the big ring.

I also really like the ergonomics of the brake levers and shifters. I can reach the levers easily while in the drops or on the hoods.

I also find that I tend to hold the right shift lever pulled to the bars in "Sprint" mode most of the time. This is definately my favorite feature. Its really easy to shift up or down using this method.

Aesthetics:

This is going to vary from person to person, but I like the looks of this group.

The fit and finish is right up there with Campy and Shimano. I think my front end looks quite a bit cleaner due to the way the shift and brake cables are run.

Overall I'm very pleased with the the new setup and I'll post pics later this afternoon when I return from work.

by Weenie