Why ride tubulars?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

DC41 wrote:As I understand it, if you do flat with your tubular 60 miles from nowhere, don't you have to strip the whole thing off the rim and slip another one one with no glue... and hop it doesn't roll off until you get home?

You can also use Vittoria or Geax pit stop and go back home safely.

by Weenie

occor

by occor

mises wrote:
occor wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:Also, Stumpy said that you can "ride them flat" - doesnt that destroy the rim?

I wouldn't do that on a carbon rim.
I have, but I'm careful to get off the seat and act as suspension if I have to hit a bump. With Al rims and a bad mood I have ridden 10km totally flat before, carbon I usually stop if there is more than 5 km to go.

I've never gone more than 3K on my carbon rims with a flat and that was pushing it for liking.

occor

by occor

Rickyfirst wrote:
occor wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:Also, Stumpy said that you can "ride them flat" - doesnt that destroy the rim?

I wouldn't do that on a carbon rim.

I've already done it for 25 km on a carbon rim without any damage for the rim.

I still wouldn't do that.

If you had a pre-glued spare and had replaced the puncted one you probably would have made up the time spent on the change by the virtue of the fact that you could have rode those last 25K quite a bit faster on good rubber.

mises

by mises

occor wrote:If you had a pre-glued spare and had replaced the puncted one you probably would have made up the time spent on the change by the virtue of the fact that you could have rode those last 25K quite a bit faster on good rubber.
But it's the principle of the thing - no tire is going to make me do anything I don't want to do. :P

occor

by occor

mises wrote:
occor wrote:If you had a pre-glued spare and had replaced the puncted one you probably would have made up the time spent on the change by the virtue of the fact that you could have rode those last 25K quite a bit faster on good rubber.
But it's the principle of the thing - no tire is going to make me do anything I don't want to do. :P

That's a special kind of laziness. :D

Rippin

by Rippin

lancejohnson wrote:number one reason is the feel. number two is the weight. number three is the feel. number four is cornering and poor road quality performance. number five is the feel. six is safety... oh, did i mention that they just feel far better?

I don't know... I honestly can't feel a difference between a tubular and a good clincher. Here are the wheels that I've ridden for a comparison:
- Zipp 303 clinchers with Michelin clincher tires
- AC Carbon (Zipp rim) with Zipp tubulars
:noidea:

Sprinter

by Sprinter

I scanned this topic quickly, but noone seems to have mentioned another benefit. That 5C day when you can barely move your fingers. You flat (in the rain) - the last thing you want to do is faff around with tyre levers.

Rip a tub off, then put a pre-stretched tub on. The glue on the rim plus 80psi will hold it no problem.

When you're back at home, warm and dry, you can glue it properly.

Oh, and it's kind of been mentioned, but Olano would never have been world road race champion if he'd ridden clinchers - he had no time to change his wheel so he rode the last few kms with a flat rear.

Elemental

by Elemental

occor wrote:You can't use clinchers with these:
Image :lol:

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Not bad! But why? :lol:

chicane

by chicane

Elemental wrote:

Didn't the board collectively agree that wheelset was a rebadged Mavic Cosmic? That is what I am remembering.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

He's pulling your leg mate....

As far as the feel difference between the tubs and clinchers goes, here's my two cents. On the track the feel is amazing due to the thickness of the tyre. A conti supersonic versus a vittoria CS for instance. On the road the casing is a lot thicker for the tub if you are going for something reliable so the feel is pretty similar. Clincher technology has improved in leaps and bounds so the gap has closed considerably. Time trial or track wise there is still a light and day difference but o nthe road where you are using mid 200g tubs there's not a lot in it.

Giantlover

by Giantlover

chicane wrote:
Elemental wrote:

Didn't the board collectively agree that wheelset was a rebadged Mavic Cosmic? That is what I am remembering.

They look allot better then with Cosmic sticker huh? :lol: :lol:

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Why ride tubies? Because they're just...better, that's all.

8)
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

occor

by occor

Elemental wrote:

You must be joking.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

No, I think he's actually serious! :faint:
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!