Why ride tubulars?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Thanks Stumpy for the no BS, and the PM before. I think the only reason I'll buy tubulars now is if I can get a quality set second hand significantly cheaper than I can get new clinchers, as theres no way I'm even going to consider new tubulars.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

No tubes for me anymore... More con's then pro's for tubulars nowadays!

I ride the Veloflex Black Clinchers (perform as good as the Pave) with a latex innertube and the feeling is almost as tubulars. But less rolling resistance.....

I am in the Clincher camp and I am there to stay!

BUT I don't race anymore (except on club courses).
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

by Weenie

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Amadeus, have you had bad luck with the latex tubes puncturing more often? I used to use them too, but maybe I just had a run of bad luck with all the flats I'd get. :noidea:
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

Amadeus

by Amadeus

I think and it is my experience - and the most tests do confirm this - that Latex inner tubes are more puncture resistant then butyl. It is my experience that I have about one puncture in 6500 km average for me.

You must have had bad luck!

BTW I always ride Michellin A1 latex inner tubes.

At the moment I am trying the new butyl Continental Supersonic inner tube (only 47grams !!) in a pair of wheels (of course with the Veloflex Black tyre). So far so good! But I have only 1000km on them for now. And no rain only dry road. Can't say anything conclusive yet.

The super light butyls seem to result in even lower RR then Latex inner tubes would have (as some testers suggest). I would like to know if that is true. "Tour" tested RR with the butyl inner tubes in the latest RR test. Would like to know the difference in RR between Latex and the light butyl inner tubes....
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

rustychain

by rustychain

I just gave away my last set of clincher wheels (kysriumsl) and now just ride tubes. Tubes work for me. Pay your money and make your choice, you can enjoy any good tires (or wheel or bike) regardless. Clinchers and tubes are just different IMO. It depends mostly on what is important to you