Stronglight Pulsion - Catastrophic Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

LJ wrote:
f.gump wrote:Is stronglight european or chinese?

Isnt Stronglight a French company?

Yeah, part of the Zefal group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

f.gump wrote:If the crankset was proven to be defective and the failure was proven to be a consequence of the defect, they are responsible for the damages under strict liability. However if you already exchanged the cranks with a new pair there's no way you can prove they were defective, and they will say that they were not, and that they just replaced them for "customer service".
I suggest you formally supply to the importer the documented list of all the damages and ask reimbursement.
Is stronglight european or chinese? I they're european I'm 99% sure they'd be responsible under the european laws as well. So they'd know what you're talking about, it's called civil liability there (tort in the US).

the supplier said there was nothing they can do, and shut me down... honestly... its just not worth the hassle at this point.

Danton

by Danton

Rich_W wrote:
f.gump wrote:Is stronglight european or chinese? I they're european I'm 99% sure they'd be responsible under the european laws as well.

European laws? That means 25 different legal systems, codes and sets of case histories and legal precedents. For the EU alone, then you have Switzerland and Norway too. On the matter of legal stuff, I'm no lawyer but from experience with motorbike parts, if they fail you have to prove you were in no way responsible for the failure, they will claim you could be negligent too, unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you used the recommended tools in the recommended manner to the recommended torque settings and then used the parts and the motorbike in the recommended manner and maintained it in the recommended manner etc

Anyway, this is WW, not globalcompensation.com so continue with the build news Rich...

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Danton wrote:Anyway, this is WW, not globalcompensation.com

LOL--> QUOTE OF THE DAY!!!

f.gump

by f.gump

Danton wrote:
Rich_W wrote:
f.gump wrote:Is stronglight european or chinese? I they're european I'm 99% sure they'd be responsible under the european laws as well.

European laws? That means 25 different legal systems, codes and sets of case histories and legal precedents. For the EU alone, then you have Switzerland and Norway too. On the matter of legal stuff, I'm no lawyer but from experience with motorbike parts, if they fail you have to prove you were in no way responsible for the failure, they will claim you could be negligent too, unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you used the recommended tools in the recommended manner to the recommended torque settings and then used the parts and the motorbike in the recommended manner and maintained it in the recommended manner etc

Anyway, this is WW, not globalcompensation.com so continue with the build news Rich...

There is an european directive dated 1988 on civil liability (IIRC), this directive has been transformed in national laws by most of the european union countries, and it says that the producer or european importer is responsible for ten years after the product has been sold.
It is true that there are many countries in the european community but quite often there are very similar laws for consumer protection.
I am not in favor of frivolous lawsuits, but if someone has his bike damaged by a defective product he should be compensated.