Advise needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Dood advice NEXUS!
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

erock139

by erock139

Not to burst you bubble, but the aforementioned set (custom Corima Aeros) aren't going to be had for sub-$800.

The rims alone are about $278 and $337 for tubs and clinchers, respectively. (Unless if you can get them cheaper, but these prices are from the Corima distributor.) That'll put you at $556 or $674, depending which route you go. Add another $200 for those Mavic hubs and you're at $756 or $874, and you haven't bought spokes or had them built yet.

At $900 or so might you be able to swipe a set of 404s on ebay.

e

00Nick

by 00Nick

What are the effects of going to a lighter wheelset. I think the stock Shimano R550's that I have weigh in at around 1800 grams and the Mavic SL is around 1600. I figure better accel and handling but what about maintaining the momentum. Not to mention the hubs which are obviosly better.-- I will have to start looking at some handmade wheels. so many decisions.
A feast is for laughter and wine makes life merry but money is the answer for everything.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Amadeus wrote:Skillgannon,

Sorry I think I was on the expensive side with my advise....

But still think with the Corima Aero rims it is possible for about $800,00. But sub $ 800,00 will be a real challange... Or maybe with PMP hubs? That is an idea!

Here in the US the Corima rims will cost more than $800 before you add the price of hubs and spokes.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

00Nick wrote:What are the effects of going to a lighter wheelset. I think the stock Shimano R550's that I have weigh in at around 1800 grams and the Mavic SL is around 1600. I figure better accel and handling but what about maintaining the momentum. Not to mention the hubs which are obviosly better.-- I will have to start looking at some handmade wheels. so many decisions.

Depends on where the weight is. Lighter weight at the rim is better than at the hub. Lighter weight wheels will accelrate better, and be easier to keep at certain speeds, but dont mainting their momentum quite as well as a heavier rim (for the same rolling resistance)

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

You're not exactly a midget so going to a lighter wheelset could have the detrimental effect of reducing reliability. If you want to stick to having one wheelset then err on the side of heaviness, if you're going to keep the 550s as trainers then you could go lighter on these wheels.

My inclination would be to ditch the 550s before they start breaking and have one solid set. Rims to consider: Velocity Deep V (not exactly sure of the name), IRD niobium 30mm, DT Swiss RR1.2. Obviously there are more options for 30mm plus rims but I'm trying to limit the range a bit here.

Hubs: Ultegra, maybe upgrade the rear to dura ace if you're looking at the weight. Lots of options on hubs too but I like to stick to stuff I know works.

Spokes - talk to whoever builds the wheels, probably DT competition. Go for 28/32. If you want to go lower count then the selection becomes more limited so this really is something to discuss with your wheelbuilder.

Using my wheelbuild calculator I figure you could maybe get as low as 1700 but more likely 1800-1900g.

I'm pretty sure the 550s are more than 1800g btw.

Put faster tyres on than the Hutchies, Mich Pro Race2 would likely help.

Spend the difference between this suggested wheelset and the $650 on a coach - you'll get much faster than if you just bought sl3s.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Bikemessenger:

Sorry I am not aware of the USA prices (I live in the Netherlands).
So I made a mistake in the pricing.
I tried to be helpful.

You can order Corima rims direct at their website (don’t buy their wheels because the hubs are not that great). http://www.corima.com/gb/produits/roues ... _janteAero They will ad the shipping costs and probably you have to pay something ad customs.

You also can ask a European WW over here to order the rims and sent them to you as a present :wink: . Then you pay no customs.

But I recon you should know about USA pricing and you probably can inform 000Nick Because I do understand that you are known as a wheel builder of good reputation. And live in the same state as 000Nick.

There are a lot of options.
If I were 000Nick I would opt for a pair of wheels with some aerodynamic characteristics.

Well I hope you can help.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

Velozirrapt0r

by Velozirrapt0r

@amadeus;
why do you like cosmos hub that much? - I know nothing about hubs, just corious-!
flat transitioner shimanoist

00Nick

by 00Nick

Would aero wheels still be a good option if I am a more aggressive rider?

Also want to upgrade BB and crankset after the wheels but I am not sure as to what will fit. I have a 105 bb and crankset. Can I just order a FSA Ceramic BB in english and install it, use it with the 105 crankset for a while and then later down the road use it with another set of cranks---maybel pulsion....
A feast is for laughter and wine makes life merry but money is the answer for everything.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Aero wheels would be your best option - rim profile makes them stronger.

As for the BB, if the pulsions are ISIS then you have to do it in one hit. If you're thinking of the FSA Ceramic MegaExo BB then you could upgrade that and then go to pulsion ct2s (assuming they have same spindle OD). This would be your most expensive route.

00Nick

by 00Nick

Campy eurus looking good now.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

00Nick wrote:Campy eurus looking good now.

then Campy Zondas should look even better. Less than 100g heavier (in the hubs) but around $200 cheaper.

00Nick

by 00Nick

VeloScaper wrote:
00Nick wrote:Campy eurus looking good now.

then Campy Zondas should look even better. Less than 100g heavier (in the hubs) but around $200 cheaper.

Before I buy I just want to confirm that these have the same hubs as the Eurus. I see a set on ebay for around 450 I want to buy.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

00Nick wrote:Before I buy I just want to confirm that these have the same hubs as the Eurus. I see a set on ebay for around 450 I want to buy.

Not exactly the same. Zondas don't have an oil port (useless anyways) and I think the Eurus come with a Titanium cassette body (where most of the weight difference comes from). I think there is another thread here on WW that gave the weight difference as something like 80g.

Anyway, $450 seems a tad high for a new set of Zondas. Have you look at 11speed.com? They got 06 Zonda for ~$360. I think shipping for wheels is around $40 to the US.

Fulcrum Racing3's might be an option to look at too.

00Nick

by 00Nick

VeloScaper wrote:
00Nick wrote:Before I buy I just want to confirm that these have the same hubs as the Eurus. I see a set on ebay for around 450 I want to buy.

Not exactly the same. Zondas don't have an oil port (useless anyways) and I think the Eurus come with a Titanium cassette body (where most of the weight difference comes from). I think there is another thread here on WW that gave the weight difference as something like 80g.

Anyway, $450 seems a tad high for a new set of Zondas. Have you look at 11speed.com? They got 06 Zonda for ~$360. I think shipping for wheels is around $40 to the US.

Fulcrum Racing3's might be an option to look at too.

I saw that, but I want to use paypal and I am not sure they accept it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com