Litespeed Vortex vs Scott CR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FredV

by FredV

Hello all,

I am seriously thinking about my next road bike, my two candidates are the Litespeed Vortex compact and the Scott CR1.

Being 6.2’/190cm & 185lbs/85kg, I am a bit concerned about these frames’ stiffness & durability, especially because I’d like to keep this bike for some time (say 5 years).

My current bike is a Cannondale caad4, which I like a lot (see bellow), I could get a Caad8 or a SIX, but I’d like to try something different.

Thanks for your inputs.

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

Durability = Vortex :lol: .

I will receive my Vortex compact custom this week :wink:

I think, you must choose the frame which suit you the most regarding the frame geometry aspect.
Last edited by Rickyfirst on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

If you're concerned about stiffness you might also consider the Litespeed Ultimate....
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

FredV

by FredV

Rickyfirst wrote:I think, you must choose the frame which suit you the most regarding the frame geometry aspect.

Hello,

I'm already following your Vortex genesis on www.julmtb.com :wink:

About Litespeed & Scott geometries, Both should suit me fine...

Tippster

by Tippster

Rickyfirst wrote:Durability = Vortex :lol: .

I will receive my Vortex compact custom this week :wink:

I think, you must choose the frame which suit you the most regarding the frame geometry aspect.

I guess durability comes into it dependant on your budget. Depending on your finances, you will get bored with the CR1 far before any durability issues pop up.

In 3-5 years, there is likely to be a newer technology or latest style that will likely catch your eye.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

FredV

by FredV

asphaltdude wrote:If you're concerned about stiffness you might also consider the Litespeed Ultimate....

The '06 ultimate & Vortex seem pretty similar :shock:

I though that, given its full 6Al/4V frame, the Vortex was the stiffest :?:

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I had an '03 Vortex before my current Calfee carbon frame. The Calfee is much, much stiffer at the bottom bracket than the Vortex. I don't think that I will ever ride ti again....

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I'm a bit bigger than you are and I've ridden the CR1 and a couple of Ti bikes. The Ti bikes (seven and a custom from china) were much nicer to ride and would be my choice for a bike to keep for a long time. CR1s are pretty popular here and are proving a bit fragile.

For the cost of a vortex I personally would be looking for custom. I know Litespeed do it but I don't know if there is an upcharge. Serotta and Seven have great options too and you can get a beautiful paintjob to really make it something you'll want to keep for 5 years.

bike_add1ct

by bike_add1ct

-I guess both will be stiff&durable enough for normal use, "even" for your weight

-the CR1 is the lighter option and probably stiffer too, though I don't know any Vortex data on this

-if you think you're gonna crash regularly, the Vortex will probably be the best option cause Ti frames can just take far more of a beating

-the CR1's clearcoat is much more fragile than the Vortex' bare Ti, even if the CR1 would survive those 5 years it would look a lot more beat up than the Vortex

< a happy 80kg CR1 rider :)

Stevo

by Stevo

Don't dismiss the Cannondale CAAD8, CAAD9 or even the new to be released System 6. They are excellent frames. A number of people do say that the ride is nicer than the earlier model CAAD frames.
I've had a Litespeed Ultimate and Eddy Merckx Titanium, smooth rides, but lack a little in bottom bracket rigidity.
You can go searching for all different brands, but if you have had good experiences with the Cannondale, just getting something different isn't necessarily going to be better.

MGS9500

by MGS9500

I am going to agree with other post about the fragile nature of an all carbon CR1. However, like others have noted, you will probably get tired of the bike before it has any problems.

I have ridden two Ti bikes, both a Merlin Extralight and a Serotta.

The Ti bikes are more comfortable for the long ride, but I ride the Scott for the 30-40- mile training rides I do on weekends. It just feels faster, accelerates quicker, is stiffer and is all around, just a much quicker feeling bike.

I agree with the other poster, Ti rides great, but the Scott is the ride when you want to feel fast.

Rudy

by Rudy

MGS9500 wrote:I am going to agree with other post about the fragile nature of an all carbon CR1. However, like others have noted, you will probably get tired of the bike before it has any problems.

I have ridden two Ti bikes, both a Merlin Extralight and a Serotta.

The Ti bikes are more comfortable for the long ride, but I ride the Scott for the 30-40- mile training rides I do on weekends. It just feels faster, accelerates quicker, is stiffer and is all around, just a much quicker feeling bike.

I agree with the other poster, Ti rides great, but the Scott is the ride when you want to feel fast.

Well, being a CR1 owner myself, Imust agree with MGS9500. I also have an old Litespeed Catalyst which s much more flexible than the Vortex.

The CR1 is by far very comfortable....sure it's not as comfy as the Ti. I ride the CR1 on 70 miles ride before...and only my legs and lungs were hurting. There are other carbon bikes out there that's not as comfyn but then again, comfort is a personal issue. What's comfy for me may not be for you. Go and test ride it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

cyclenutnz wrote:For the cost of a vortex I personally would be looking for custom. I know Litespeed do it but I don't know if there is an upcharge.

Upcharge of 400 € for the custom version.