Lateral stiffness of Soloist Team

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LovePain

by LovePain

I have put out 1000km on my 2 month old soloist team now. It was not until a recent ride that I find the frame not exactly stiff laterally. I got off the bike and step on the crank on one side and find that the frame flexes pretty much.

Wonder if any current or previous owner of the same frame have the same observation or is it just me?

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

LovePain wrote:I have put out 1000km on my 2 month old soloist team now. It was not until a recent ride that I find the frame not exactly stiff laterally. I got off the bike and step on the crank on one side and find that the frame flexes pretty much.

Wonder if any current or previous owner of the same frame have the same observation or is it just me?

Cheers!

Are you sure it's the frame? It could be the wheels.
Im testing one of theese now, but the wheels are pretty flexy, I'll have stiffer wheels next week, so I will be able to help you by then.

pk0r

by pk0r

You may want to check this thread.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

LovePain

by LovePain

Thanks guys.

The lateral stiffness in that test seems to confirm my doubts.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

LovePain wrote:I have put out 1000km on my 2 month old soloist team now. It was not until a recent ride that I find the frame not exactly stiff laterally. I got off the bike and step on the crank on one side and find that the frame flexes pretty much.
Cheers!

If you step off the bike and step on the crank you can flex any frame. It has nothing to do with lateral stiffness on the bike.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

Andy7

by Andy7

I think lateral stiffness has more to do with the forks.

LovePain

by LovePain

I understand that any frame can flex but it's the magnitude of the flex. I used to ride a trek 5500 and it flexes too in the manner I test it but I don't remember it flexing as much.

The flexing is evident somewhere down from the headtube to the downtube. I can acutally see the downtube sway.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LovePain wrote:I understand that any frame can flex but it's the magnitude of the flex. I used to ride a trek 5500 and it flexes too in the manner I test it but I don't remember it flexing as much.

The flexing is evident somewhere down from the headtube to the downtube. I can acutally see the downtube sway.

For the kind of flex you are talking about here the fork is a major factor. A fork with even a bit more lateral stiffness will make the bike feel totally different on out of the saddle efforts (as well as your foot on the crank test).

What fork is on your Soloist?

Just a thought - if the Soloist was laterally more stiff, would it be a better bike?

LovePain

by LovePain

My fork is a Wolf CL.

Well I have no technical knowledge to say if better lateral stiffness equals to better bike. But I guess riding knowledge sorta tells me that the less flex the better?

Perhaps point to note is that I am not saying the soloist is a poor bike. A soloist ridden by a good rider can be complementary. Just that my observation on the flex doesn't rest too well with me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wogamax

by wogamax

mrowkoob wrote:
If you step off the bike and step on the crank you can flex any frame. It has nothing to do with lateral stiffness on the bike.

Not true. Lateral stiffness and bottom bracket flex have everything to do with what happens when lateral forse is applied at the bottom bracket. You may not ride your bike pedaling directly from the side, but when out of the saddle (sprints/hills), you can bet your effort (the vector) approaches this (and this is where you notice it most). The fork and wheels are part of the equation, too.