Custom handbuild Road Stem........ 107gram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hyde

by Hyde

Very nice! Looks Clean!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

col hicks

by col hicks

:D that looks great , is it for sale

FelixOr

by FelixOr

WOW! I'm speechless. Absolutely gorgeous work!

*thumbsup* :)

Provence

by Provence

Well done, great looking stem. I love the Danish people too, they're so friendly and laid back :wink:
For if life, in the desire for which our essence and existence consists, possessed in itself a positive value and real content, there would be no such thing as boredom: mere existence would fufill and satisfy us.

Arthur Schopenhauer

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Put on a full face motorbike helmet, fit it to your bike and ride it downhill off road with the fork locked out. Repeat until you are satisfied it wont break.

Excellent work, I am very impressed.

Time to make a seat post isn't it?

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

@RTW: already made

@Provence: In reality we're a right bunch of bastards :)
- Papa R. Fresh

Provence

by Provence

I must have visited a different Copenhagen to the one you live in then. :(
For if life, in the desire for which our essence and existence consists, possessed in itself a positive value and real content, there would be no such thing as boredom: mere existence would fufill and satisfy us.

Arthur Schopenhauer

cwmak

by cwmak

JTC wrote:Great looking stem! I have always liked the looks of the few polished alu stems that are out there. I would leave it like it is if the color works ok with the bike its going on.

well.. alu bolts works, depending on the quality of alu you use ofcourse.

Alu bolts on a stem......I think not. Only on the steerer clamp if at all. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here that uses alu on the face plate!

Actually i use aluminium bolts on the face plate as it is a 4 bolt design and i will never use aluminium bolts on the steerer clamp as that is the most dangerous bit to do. (i was this close in buying a new stem)

Reason is because when you tighten both aluminium bolts on the steerer clamp it is fine. BUT when you release the tension on the top bolt, the area where the stem meets at the end expands and puts alot of pressure on the last aluminium bolt and BANG, the bolt breaks!

After my incident, i had to use my drill to make a 1mm thread on the remaining bolt to get it out.

Anyway this is just a warning and i will second the idea with using ti bolts instead of aluminium. However, with 4 bolt design face plate my stem held up for a year now but i did use loctite 222 on the threads.

cwmak

by cwmak

Oh yes, i really like your stem. It looks absolutely kick arse!

Can you make me one? Reason is because it is hard to find someone to make a decent stem at a decent weight at a decent price but moreover it must be 31.8 for 1"steerer.

If you can make that then i will buy it anytime! :wink:

Great job!!!

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Skillgannon wrote:I'm just downloading the Z88 one now to try it out.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these programs and had good/bad results or experiences? Which would be the best and easiest to use?

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Z88 was the only one I tried, and due to a limited amount of time to tes twith it, was a disaster.

carbonhuhn

by carbonhuhn

nice work!!! 8) :lol: :shock: :D
CARBON RULZ

davef

by davef

I think it looks pretty nice. The only thing i'd change is the clamp at the stear tube. I like a cleaner look that conceals the tube. But thats just me...

Really like the older thomson stems for that one!

I would really incourage getting some structural testing done and an insurance policy to cover the liability before you sell any of em.

Stems break, light ones more so. Don't want to see your passion turn into your undoing...

lots of liability when your're talking structural bike parts