Stiffness saftey or Lightwight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Andy7

by Andy7

i owned lot's of bikes had a 15 pound e5-sworks it was a great bike but could not relax when rideing it thinking someting was going to break, so in the end sold it and built up a maga stiff bike around 17 pound a Boreas Aer with thomson stem/seatpost and full Dura-ace and weighing 2 pound more seem to go a lot better no flex and not haveing to worrie about something snaping,
Attachments
Picture 166.JPE

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

:welcome: Andy, nice looking bike.

With the help of this site I am sure that you can have all three of these elements. I don't think that strength, weight, or safety are mutually exclusive. My housemate has a bike he bought for £80. It is very strong (steel tubing), very heavy and utterly utterly dangerous (brakes are shocking, bearings rubbish etc.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Welcome Andy!

As Rich above says, you can have any combination of the qualities you mention, it's a matter of doing a little research and sometimes dishing out a little bit of cash.

I'm about 2 or 3 weeks away from receiving my new Pegoretti frame, and I'm sure it will be one of the stiffest light frames around, and knowing that Dario himself chose the tubes and welded the frame to his specifications based on his measurements of me, I have every ounce of confidence that this frame will be safe. I'm going to throw a good bit of new Campy (Record/Chorus) on it, again, light, functional, and very safe.

My biggest concern at this point is what I want to do for wheels. This is going to be my hand-built baby, so I'm thinking she deserves some custom wheels. I have a number of options to go with in terms of parts and builders, the question is, and part of the reason I'm on here is to find out what works and what doesn't. I can get Zipp product at a fairly good discount and had considered building my wheels with those rims, but after seeing how many people here have had problems with their rims, I'm seriously re-thinking this decision.

It's worth your time if you're a serious cyclist to browse these forums on a semi-regular basis, there's lots to learn, even for experienced cycling insiders.
View before posting!
Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!