Deep Profile Alu Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I want to build up a set of aero profile aluminum rims wheels. I refuse to use Mavic CXP33's or those AmClassic 420's. The former being a recently acquired aversion to Mavic and the latter because I have seen and had great problems with AmClassic wheels/rims in the past.

I am 200lbs and will be using 32 spokes front and rear. The wheels will be ridden for training and crits. The lightest weight rim is not my main goal here as I tend to beat up wheels.

Right now there appears to be only the Ambrosio Focus FCS28 rim, but that has a 28mm profile - not much. Are there any other options to consider?

knh555

by knh555

Why do you want aero rims for this application? The wheelset as a system won't be particularly aero to begin with, so why not go with a lighter rim? You have plenty of spokes to make it strong enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Check out the Niobium 30 rims that Mike Garcia is selling. www.oddsandendos.com

I have a set of wheels built with those rims and they have held up great for me. I was over 200 lbs when I started riding them..... so they saw some abuse. my build was 24F/28R

davef

by davef

the velocity deep v is a nice rim

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The system will be much more aero than the current low profile wheels which I am riding. I will not ride a carbon rim, b/c I am convinced I would crush them and don't want to spend the cash on them. My size and real life riding on bad roads dictate the rim choice. Compared to my classics wheels, the deep dish will help.

I have found some other options just now, but can't say anything about their quality:

-Alex SUB 700cc rim (30mm profile)
-FIR SC350 (35mm profile)
-FIR SRG 30 (30mm profile)
-Velocity Deep V (? profile)
-Sun Ringle Swift (? profile)

Any advice would be welcome.

The Niobium does look nice, but appears to only come as a hand-built wheelset. I have a nice set of hubs, so I am only looking for the rims at this point.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

DaveF, you didn't mention that the Deep V's come in fashion colors!

Lime green, bubble gum pink, orange?!? Get outta town!!! We may have a winner here!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Stolichnaya wrote:The system will be much more aero than the current low profile wheels which I am riding. I will not ride a carbon rim, b/c I am convinced I would crush them and don't want to spend the cash on them. My size and real life riding on bad roads dictate the rim choice. Compared to my classics wheels, the deep dish will help.

I have found some other options just now, but can't say anything about their quality:

-Alex SUB 700cc rim (30mm profile)
-FIR SC350 (35mm profile)
-FIR SRG 30 (30mm profile)
-Velocity Deep V (? profile)
-Sun Ringle Swift (? profile)

Any advice would be welcome.

The Niobium does look nice, but appears to only come as a hand-built wheelset. I have a nice set of hubs, so I am only looking for the rims at this point.

He will sell just the rims as well. $65 each

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/9/130.htm?389

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I think my Campy Zondas are ~30mm, and certainly a tough wheelset.

But 20-40mm deep will not make any real difference, you have to get to 60mm before any real effects take place.

There are also the old Campy Shamals.

frd

by frd

Did you consider the new dt swiss rr 1.2?

NGMN

by NGMN

DocRay wrote:But 20-40mm deep will not make any real difference, you have to get to 60mm before any real effects take place.

There are also the old Campy Shamals.

Funny you talk about needing 60mm deep rims for aerodynamics and then you mention a wheel that did excellent in the wind tunnel at only 40mm.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

DocRay wrote:But 20-40mm deep will not make any real difference, you have to get to 60mm before any real effects take place.

Don't know where this "60mm" keeps coming from... where did you hear that?

There are significant gains going from a <20mm rim to a 25+mm rim, according to all the data I've seen... a lot more of a difference than going from 40mm to 60mm.

I posted all the aero wheel data I could find here:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showth ... &highlight

livestrong1786

by livestrong1786

I realize you only want rims because you have nice hubs already, but nonetheless check out Hed Jet wheels. They have aluminum rims with carbon fairings over them ranging from 50mm to 90mm in depth. They cost about $900 bucks a pair, well worth in when you consider they are the same depths as Zipps, which are $1750 a pair. The Jets are probably (I don't actually have them, so take what i say with a grain of salt) plenty strong as is, but there are "options available for wheel crushers and riders over 190 lbs." according to the website.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Thanks all...

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

rruff wrote:
Don't know where this "60mm" keeps coming from... where did you hear that?

experience. if you want cool looking rims, ok.
just don't kid yourself on "significant".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rubber_souls

by rubber_souls

What about the Bontrager Aero wheels? There's the Select, Race Lite and Race X Lite to choose from, each with 31mm rims.

http://bontrager.com/Road/Wheelworks/In ... Wheels.php