need carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

suream

by suream

i have bonty xxxlite with the carbon hubs 1200g,so has afreind and he is a clumsy 200lb and he cant break them.
mogieed

LukeVelo

by LukeVelo

I am looking for a set of carbon tubies wheelset also. I'm 6' 165 lbs. Looking for something similar to the 303s. I ride a lot in the mountains and want them to be solid on fast descents. Other than that, I don't care what brand, actually, I don't want ANY stickers on them, so stealth and inexpensive are my top priorities. I have dumped a ton into the bike and don't want to pay a premium for a name brand like Zipp, Cormima, etc. This is for a DA-7800 set up. I also don't know the first thing about building a wheel, but I could get someone to do it if it will get me the best wheels possible for my $1500 max budget, preferably $1000. Anything under 1250 grams would be nice too. Oh , and a free toaster.

Thanks,

-Luke

Also, what tires would be best? I don't want to go too WW if it means they tend to flat more.
I'm heading southeast on Bakalakadaka Street.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pinkpanther

by pinkpanther

also think about the bontrager aelous 6.5
I don't know how much you can find them there but i got mine at 2k excactly.

chicane

by chicane

The nice thing about Corima is that you don't pay a premium for them unless they are labeled as Campy wheels :-)

Used reynolds can also be had for under $1k on ebay or whatever. Those are probably exactly what you are looking for (mid-4Xmm depth), excellent all around, strength, stiffness, weight, etc.

LukeVelo wrote:I am looking for a set of carbon tubies wheelset also. I'm 6' 165 lbs. Looking for something similar to the 303s. I ride a lot in the mountains and want them to be solid on fast descents. Other than that, I don't care what brand, actually, I don't want ANY stickers on them, so stealth and inexpensive are my top priorities. I have dumped a ton into the bike and don't want to pay a premium for a name brand like Zipp, Cormima, etc. This is for a DA-7800 set up. I also don't know the first thing about building a wheel, but I could get someone to do it if it will get me the best wheels possible for my $1500 max budget, preferably $1000. Anything under 1250 grams would be nice too. Oh , and a free toaster.

Thanks,

-Luke

Also, what tires would be best? I don't want to go too WW if it means they tend to flat more.

foxracer826

by foxracer826

So does any one know what a set of nimbles as bike messanger suggested would cost? If I used nimble fly rims, tune hubs (which tune hubs should I get?), and what kind of spokes? Is there anything else I am missing?

chicane

by chicane

Honestly, I don't think it's worth screwing with a custom build when nimble already offers great hubs and spokes. You will probably get a better set of wheels that way.

Their rear hub is based on a DT 240 internal structure, and the front is simple and light. Possibly an AMC according to some folks.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

chicane wrote:Honestly, I don't think it's worth screwing with a custom build when nimble already offers great hubs and spokes. You will probably get a better set of wheels that way.

Their rear hub is based on a DT 240 internal structure, and the front is simple and light. Possibly an AMC according to some folks.

The Nimble rear hub is a Dt 240 with Nimble etched on it and the front hub is a American Classic micro front hub.

cattlethief

by cattlethief

rode the reynolds wheels the last year and broke 3 spokes no reason at all even after rebuild from factory where they added a shim to the nipple
have now traded them in for fulcrum racing speeds light and super strong and used by de la fuente in the tour today when picking up all those points.
Henrik larsson is king

foxracer826

by foxracer826

that is exactly what I was talking about with a friends reynolds experience. The hypereons or racind light/speeds seem great, but are they too heavy?

I prefer to have a set under 1000g, but if not possible, then as close to it as I can get. Again, those nimbles look really cool and their website makes them sound good, but I do not know what to think of them unless I hear a review or something. How are they in strength, stiffness, lasting? Also, could the rim of hyperons/ racing lights with some tune hubs work? Please, any answers or reviews or advice I can get helps a lot!

xajim

by xajim

Vuelta Carbon Pro's perhaps? The WR ones are pretty deep. I've got a set of the Carbon Pro Clinchers and they're quite stiff and reliable. Not weight weenie, but the tubular versions are pretty light. They look good too.

michael

by michael

Campagnolo Bora