Is a DISC Wheel worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

onyourleft wrote:Try one of these! :wink:

my new montello is on the way :-)
Attachments
ivan_gutierrez_con_montello_fp8_680.jpg

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

I agree Erez, thats a pretty spectacular buy, no wonder you cant contain your excitement :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enforcer

by Enforcer

Are you using 170 cranks :shock: ,throw them away and buy 175 :wink:

knh555

by knh555

A disk is faster. If you want to go faster, it's the way to go. That doesn't mean you have to spend big bucks, though. I recently picked up a Hed disk for threaded freewheels for short money. I run it with a 12-18 seven speed, which is plenty for any TT I'm going to do and it's just as aero. And it also has a nice track conversion for dual use.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

An aero helmet, if you're in the proper position on the bike, is worth far more than any of those other options.

Well, increasing your crank length might help, but aero cranks or whatnot aren't going to do a damn thing.

erock139

by erock139

If you're doing between 15-25 TT's a year, you'll definitely benefit from a rear disc and/or aero helmet. Your avg speed is good enough to warrant spending the extra $$ on equipment. If you buy good equipment it will last you a while.

My belief is the following: "I" want to be "entirely" responsible for my time trials. I don't want any excuses when I'm done TT'ing. I refuse to leaving variables uncovered. If my time suffers, even with my Zipp 999s and a Giro Advantage, then I am 100% positive it's my legs that are lacking....and I'm absolutely fine with that.

e

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

if we don't know his body length and riding style, it is not intelligent to tell a 17 year old rider to go for 175 mm cranks, better develop pedalling style in young ages, and that's easyer with shorter cranks.

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

@ evenfasterson,

I didnt do the national 10 this season, but my "local rival" Richard Meadows did quite well :D If I had of done it I am almost certain I would have been top3, I know its quite a bold statement but I hope to prove this later in the year at the BCF National Circuit TT, I am making this my target of the year, everything from now on is focused towards that.

I have a Giro Advantage

Dalai

by Dalai

For those continually suggesting aero helmet and position. Check out the previous topic by Aeolus which provides more information on his kit and setup here

As khn555 has suggested, a disk doesn't have to be expensive. As you are using bar end shifters, you can shift this to friction and use something will less than 10 speed.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Meadows was impressive. I did crap i was 39th or something silly miles off the pace!! i haven't been training at all since January until today ive only been doing a small amount of racing due to my last year of A levels but im hoping to do well at the BC TT champs aswell. My little brother is flying at the moment he's 15 and done a 23:00, 57:22 and a 2:08:?? He hasnt even had the right day yet but he wants to do well in the GHS.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

I see nothing wrong with spending the zoot in order to make your rig as aero as possible. Let's face it gentlemen, how many of us here have spent thousands making a bike lighter, when many of us know in our hearts that our training should have been MILES better before we upgraded?

What's the diff if your interest lies in better aerodynamics instead of lower weight, such as in riding TT's or track?

Contrary to popular belief: weight is NOT everything! And you can get faster just so quickly through maximum training, because your body needs time to recover and adjust.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

:exactly: :goodpost: :thumbup:

Lets have a new section-Aero Weenies!

Shallowhal

by Shallowhal

Aeolus,

Crathorne?? Just down the road from me(Stokesley). Rather than getting an MDT or FSA TT Chainring have you thought about popping in to Hansell Composites(Fibre-Lyte) and getting a carbon fibre TT chainring?(I work there so obvious bias :D)

onyourleft

by onyourleft

evenfasterson wrote::exactly: :goodpost: :thumbup:

Lets have a new section-Aero Weenies!

Yes, let's do that! It's been needed for a long time. :beerchug: The problem would be that it's not as easy for the average WW to measure aerodynamics as it is to just throw a part on a scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LukeVelo

by LukeVelo

I have them on my road bike that I got second hand. I'm six foot with a 33 inseam, I feel fine. Are they only good for TT or really tall people. I'm trying to get my bike dialed in and should I look at my cranks? Just a bit confused.