how practically light can you go?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

72FXD

by 72FXD

i'm building up a giant isp with lightweights my goal weight is approx 13lbs.I wanted a bike you could trust and not worry about when riding hard over crappy roads.Hence Dura ace brakes,chainset and hopefully new SRAM shifters and rear mech, i like the looks,weight and write ups.

If put on a fixed wheel ( a white industries eccentric hub) on this frame i could get way with 53*19 this would when fit still be very practical and weigh
nearer 12lbs.

what else can you lighten or do without and not sacrifice safety or useability?

TSMonk

by TSMonk

I have 0G brakes and do not think they are an issue with a "trust worthy" bike. You can definetly save some weight there. I also feel comfortable with my carbon bars on rougher roads. I have te Kestrel EMS Pro SL bars with the Ritchey 4 axis stem and have had no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'm at almost exactly 12 lbs. I don't have a problem jumping curbs, bunnyhopping things, or even doing front wheel hops. Having ridden everything from 7.5lbs and up, I think the 11-12 lbs range can be done without any compromises in strength, stiffness and durability. Of course it takes a fairly decent budget.

knh555

by knh555

Is this a racer? What about crash-worthiness and costs of replacement/repair as things to consider?

72FXD

by 72FXD

knh555 wrote:Is this a racer? What about crash-worthiness and costs of replacement/repair as things to consider?

maybe would be raced if i was fit enough to be in the front 6,having wiped out a front end before in a crash i hear where your coming from.

but it was mainly to be used a useable sunday cafe racer stroke pose machine.

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

I suppose your body weight would come into the equation? I mean if you weigh 100+kgs, you might not go for a bike that's too light.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

SpeedMachine

by SpeedMachine

I wouldn't bother, you can get a much smoother, more comfortable ride with a normal weighted bike than being a fat b@stard but being able to brag on an internet forum and in cafes.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

SpeedMachine wrote:I wouldn't bother, you can get a much smoother, more comfortable ride with a normal weighted bike than being a fat b@stard but being able to brag on an internet forum and in cafes.

Pretty typical post from you. FYI, talk about "normal weighted" bikes can be found at bikeforums.net....Perhaps you should pay them a visit.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

72FXD wrote:i'm building up a giant isp with lightweights my goal weight is approx 13lbs.I wanted a bike you could trust and not worry about when riding hard over crappy roads.Hence Dura ace brakes,chainset and hopefully new SRAM shifters and rear mech, i like the looks,weight and write ups.

If put on a fixed wheel ( a white industries eccentric hub) on this frame i could get way with 53*19 this would when fit still be very practical and weigh
nearer 12lbs.

I just picked up a set of skewers from the soon to be gone m2 racer. 1/3 the weight of my Ultegra skewers (@42g for the pair)... how crappy are the roads you're riding over? Becuase I'd say the skewers would be good to get, they do have a suggested rider weight limit of 200lbs thou

i got an m2racer seatpost clamp from fairwheel and have been impressed how that's held up. I took my bike over lots (read several miles worth combined) of 'scarrified' pavement a few weekends ago and had no slippage issues. Felt like a wholebody massage...
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

spytech

by spytech

Skyleth wrote:
72FXD wrote:i'm building up a giant isp with lightweights my goal weight is approx 13lbs.I wanted a bike you could trust and not worry about when riding hard over crappy roads.Hence Dura ace brakes,chainset and hopefully new SRAM shifters and rear mech, i like the looks,weight and write ups.

nearer 12lbs.

I just picked up a set of skewers from the soon to be gone m2 racer. 1/3 the weight of my Ultegra skewers (@42g for the pair)... how crappy are the roads you're riding over? Becuase I'd say the skewers would be good to get, they do have a suggested rider weight limit of 200lbs thou

i got an m2racer seatpost clamp from fairwheel and have been impressed how that's held up. I took my bike over lots (read several miles worth combined) of 'scarrified' pavement a few weekends ago and had no slippage issues. Felt like a wholebody massage...

I have the m2racer skewers, and i can tell you; if your a rider that likes to get off the saddle and hammer, they are not for you, unless you weight 130lbs. they do not hold the wheel as well as a record or dura ace skewer, or even a tune ac14 skewer (but the tune doesnt hold that well either). Delrin *type* cam system do not hold as well as a record or dura ace type skewer.

i am a little different as i like stiff parts on my bike and i will not compromise weight for stiffness (i am 6ft tall and 187lbs hoping to get back to 170lb). i thought the wheels i got were flexy but it turned out to be the skewers. the wheels built by bikemessenger turned out to be pretty good. in my opinion a no compromise wheel would be lightweight standard's (i have yet to ride one). can a 12lb race worthy bike be built, i think so, but it depends on your requirements. everyone is different. by changing cranks and wheels i can knock 1lb off my bike (that can be seen here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... canyon+nyc) but then what else (except for bars)? i have the lightest seat and seatpost combo, one of the lightest forks, good low (not the lowest) weight on the frame. anything else would be a compromise in stiffness.

so i do think that 12lb bike can be built, but not with your average budget (germans make good stuff, you just pay for what you get).

72FXD

by 72FXD

SpeedMachine wrote:I wouldn't bother, you can get a much smoother, more comfortable ride with a normal weighted bike than being a fat b@stard but being able to brag on an internet forum and in cafes.

er.. hello weight weenies means "little weight" :lol: What is the weight of a normal weighted bike? in your opinion and you can brag if it makes you feel better..

Shallowhal

by Shallowhal

Speedmachine, regardless of whether you want to 'pose' on a bike or not, saying that you get a far more smoother, comfortable ride on a 'normal' weighted bike is rubbish. I used to ride to work on a 'normal' weighted bike and reduced my riding time significantly when I got my newer lighter bike with no loss in comfort(and I'm only 75kgs and physically fit)

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

we regularly do 11-13 pound bikes that people take out and ride hard. there are plenty of ways to build a light bike like that and still have it durable and road worthy for a hammer. 10 pounds and less i think you start making some larger trade offs, but in the 11-13 pound range you should be great.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

KB

by KB

lancejohnson wrote:we regularly do 11-13 pound bikes that people take out and ride hard. there are plenty of ways to build a light bike like that and still have it durable and road worthy for a hammer. 10 pounds and less i think you start making some larger trade offs, but in the 11-13 pound range you should be great.
I agree. I've got bikes under 6kg, but never had any problems with them. Like Madcow said you need a decent budget to do it. Also, bikes in that range look like 'proper' bikes as well. Some of the superlight offerings with downtube shifters don't hack it with me; they just don't look right.

KB

by KB

Envy's a terrible thing and you suffer badly from it. You made a young kid like Aeolus have it, which is bad enough, but then you compound it further by your obnoxious quote on this thread. Who cares whether people are fat or thin, skint or fat. WW caters for everyone from impecunious students to people who can afford whatever they want, and good look to them. There are also those that have helped others considerably on here to realise their bike dreams. As a forum it's one where there's very little mudslinging or backbiting. Unfortunately, every now and then we get twerps like you on here. You should go back and read your own posts and see what an obnoxious git you are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com