Dynamic spin balancing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

f.gump

by f.gump

A wheel which is balanced before tire and inner tube assembly only helps a little, because the disigners cannot possibly know what kind of valve will be assembled, and valves differ in weight. The mass distrìbution in tires (and to a lesser extent in tubes) is always uneven, sometimes just a little, sometimes more.
I try different angular positions of the tire before putting pressure in it, until I find the position that offer the best static balance.
This cannot be done with tubulars or tubes.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Well..to any bike gizmo manufacturers out there, a small wheel balancing weight could be the new product for 2007.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bluespot

by bluespot

2 wheels wrote:
bluespot wrote:the same thing about the wheel balancing issue ... I remember last summer riding up to bear mountain and as i was descending my wheels started wobbling ...

Speed wobble (a.k.a. shimmy) can be because of an unalingned fork like described by Craig Calfee here: http://velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9786.0.html

Yeah tried that last year ... the fork is within the 1mm ...i'm pretty sure it was .6

altought the caliber i was using wasn't the best ... the article also states after 30mph it should wobble ... at 40 no probs ... only when i hit 50 plus esp down bear mountain (the road is not the best starting from the top)

--Drew ... :wink: