HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 pm 

I'm putting together a new build and am stuck on the cockpit choice. This will be a top end build, not looking to cut corners.

Choices are:

1. Vibe UD carbon bar and stem. Have this today on another bike, like it just fine. Looks good.

2. Stealth EVO integrated bar/stem. Can have the exact setup as above, fitment will be right. Not sure about vibration/comfort or if it will be too stiff or whatever. Never ridden one.

3. Zipp's SL-70 aero + sprinter stem. Like the looks the least, but it's probably the least drag. Also probably stiff as hell.

Want to keep with shimano PRO or SRAM/ZIPP product lines.

Anyone ride these and can comment? I really want to go with the stealth evo but am concerned it won't be comfy like the VIBE UD is.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 pm 

I've got the Zipp SL70 aero and sprint stem and it's a super stiff combo. Can't notice any difference in aero over a standard bar and it's not the most comfortable riding on the tops but it's really stiff. Not used the Pro setups so I can't comment on them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 pm 

I have the Pro Vibe in limited edition compact version now on a recent rebuild of an F8. I was previously riding ENVE compact prior to that. The difference of the two was pretty significant with respect to stiffness with the Pro being much stiffer. I prefer the stiffer setup so I am very please with my decision to abandon the ENVE bars. If you already like the Pro setup then unless you go aluminum I suspect stiffness will be reduced with the other setups as it is unlikely that Zipp aero bars will be as stiff. Check out fairwheel bikes bar testing. I don't recall but they may have tested the Zipp.

Your call on the integrated. If it works for your measurements then it probably a great alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 pm 

Yeah the Fairwheel test shows what we know - the VIBE UD bar is stiff. It's no lightweight though.

DO you have pics of the new LTD bar/stem combo? My old bike has the older graphics, the new ones will be perfect for a matte black frame build.

They did test the old zipp SL bars, quite the noodle. It's all got to match though so all zipp, all pro, etc.

I guess the zipp service course stem + zipp SLC2 bars are an option. But on aesthetics the PRO LTD win hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:19 pm 

Im using the Pro bar with enve stem. Pics are in the my new whip thread in intro gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 am 

It should be impossible for a flat section bar to be as stiff as a round or oval bar.

Also a larger boom diameter of a stem or a bar should make it stiffer.

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:20 am 

Nice looking F8, excellent.

That fairwheels test on stems is interesting, clearly the PRO VIBE carbon stem is a loser in terms of stiffness (not to mention more expensive). Shimano told me as much and strongly recommended the VIBE AL stem. Aesthetically it's nice though.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the vibe carbon bar/stem from earlier in 2015 and the LTD versions on the PRO site now? Looks like just graphics but wasn't sure.