Broken Easton Carbon Bar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darbydog

by darbydog

A few weeks ago someone posted an easton carbon bar that broke without ever being crashed. Has anyone else had this issue with this bar? A teammate of mine went down this past sat 50 feet from the line and nobody can tell for sure what happened. he was in 5th place sitting down sprinting and the next thing he remembers is being on the ground. Nobody else went down just him. He broke 6 ribs, the scapula, his clavical had some internal bleeding in his chest and some swelling of the brain. He is OK and being released today, but where the bar broke is simular to the photo posted a few weeks ago. If it was the bar that failed he will need to contact easton. Trying to find photos or video from the race finish to see what we can see. I will get a photo of the bar soon and post it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

It does indeed sound like it's an Easton carbon road bar whenever something like this pops up. Could also be due to the large number of carbon bars they're selling though.

darbydog

by darbydog

Yea I agree I think due to the price and the weight they do sell a lot of bars, I hope the crash was more to someone hitting him from behind and not the bars. The strange thing is usually if you get hit from behind the rider behind goes down. Uaually anyway but not all the time

FelixOr

by FelixOr

hi darbydog.
that sounds really bad. I hope he your friend recover quickly!

If the bar snapped in a bunch-sprint, i'm pretty sure more riders would've crashed.

darbydog

by darbydog

not sure on the size of the group finishing as I was still racing I would think someone else would have went down anyway in a bunch sprint whether the bar broke or not.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

darbydog wrote:not sure on the size of the group finishing as I was still racing I would think someone else would have went down anyway in a bunch sprint whether the bar broke or not.

possibly, but if go down because of e.g a pothole, there's still the chance to avoid a mass-crash. If your bar snaps, you go immediately go righ or left (depends) and take down the riders that are beside you.

NS

by NS

Just off home to put my newtons back on :shock:

Coolhand

by Coolhand

I imagine it will be hard to tell if the crash caused the bar damage or the other way around.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Auk

by Auk

Actually, it should be easy to see if the bar was snapped before or after the crash, as there will be impact/scuff damage to the bar if it broke during the crash. The deepness of the gouging and scuffing will tell the amount of pressure was on the bar when it touched the ground.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I was the one who posted/broke the EC90. It broke at the bend behind the hoods, on the bottom of the bar. Non clamping surface also. I sent them back to Veltec and they replaced them ASAP, less than a week turn around. The one I sent in was 190 grams (31.8/42) and the one I got back was 220 grams in the same size. Mine was the first posted and there has been a post in the last few weeks from someone in the UK breaking one in, what appears, to be the same place as mine and now this place in yet the same place again.

Easton does sell lots of bars and I have had a lot of them. I have an SLX fork, and SLX Areo, and I have a stem. My wife has an SLX fork, an EC70 fork, two sets of EC90 equips in a 31.8 and 26.0, a set of the carbon TT bars, and an aero fork, and a few stems here and there, Plus a set of Easton Orion II. Thats just road bikes. Mountain is a whole 'nother story, even more Easton stuff. I have never had any probelms with Easton stuff warrenty or otherwise. I'd chalk this up to a bad run of bars, maybe a QC issue but I don't think Easton makes bad stuff.

Starnut

Edit: I just reread your post. Don't call Easton, they are absolutly worthless on the phone. If however you want a base/soft ball bat they'll talk your ear off. He needs to call Veltec Sports in Calif. 1-800-991-0070. They will more than likely tell him to take the bars back to the shop where he got them to get a RA# for the return. Unless he has to orginal recipt, he'll be able to send them back.
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

darbydog

by darbydog

STARNUT

His broke behind the hood at the bend also but where yours cracked and delaminated his was a clean break
almost like the picture spaniardclimber posted in your original link

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 36&start=0

As soon as I can get a photo of the bar I will post it.

darbydog

by darbydog

Well I went out and looked closer at my buddy's bike. I am convices the bar broke. THere is a small scuff on the bar tape at the end of the bar but not what you wouyld expect for going down in a downhill sprint and near 40mph. the only mark on the left side of the bike(side he went down on) is a good scrape on the rear quick release, it looks like the bike flipped and then ground a lot off the front right shifter.Then when you look at him you can tell he went down like a sack of potatos which seems to point to a component failure. I will post the pictures tonight when I get home.

The bar broke at the bend right after the tops of the bar. It is an Easton EC 90 equipe bar.

racyrich

by racyrich

I was the person who posted of my teammate snapping an EC90 last weekend.
It went on the RH side, on the curve from the tops to the lever, at least 2 inches before the lever clamp (hard to be precise, it was under the bar tape).

darbydog

by darbydog

Very simular spot that his broke(but left side). Still waiting to see if anyone has pictures of the finish to try and tell if it did break.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darbydog

by darbydog

racyrich

did you freinds bar ever get crashed before ift failed ? did easton warrenty the bar?