A few unplanned upgrades and modifications...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iubike

by iubike

So yesterday I was having a great hill sprint workout session. I had just finished the last set and coasted down the climb. I turn around and am SLOWLY :) climbing back up. Hey there is a FedEx truck, parked on the side of the road, he can't be there too long. I am around 15-20 ft behind the truck. I slow down and take a second to decide if I should ride around him or wait a sec. Well I didn't get a chance to make that choice, reverse lights, throttle, bam, he is backing down the hill and fast. Fight or flight, I swerve left to avoid him but have no chance BAM!

I was clipped by the left rear end of the truck (big guy with a dually rear) and dragged around 15ft down the hill. I actually had time to start screaming "Jesus christ your running me over!!!!" many times before he stopped, I was inches away from the tires. My bike was tangled and I was pissed.

DAMAGES

Body:
Road rash on my left side, a twisted left knee and a tear in my week old team gear :evil:

Bike:
Gouge in the down tube
Gashed AX Apollo
Delamenated M2 Racer seat post
Gashed M2 racer skewers
Wobbly rings
Broken Record FD

Not exactly a cheap "oppps" on FedEx's part. The claim has already been filed and they will be paying for ever bit of damage. The driver was nice enough but we were both pretty shaken up. I am still not sure why he was backing up so fast down a hill, he mentioned something about moving out of the way of a driveway, :?: just wish he would have peeked the mirrors before gasing it.

Well I train pretty serious, my post and saddle were the only parts keeping me OFF the bike. I had a nice workout planned today that I would be damned if I missed. A quick phone call to Jason (of Fair Wheel Bikes) yesterday got the ball rolling. I have mentioned before that I will never again ride anything other than an AX saddle, he just happened to have a 31.6 Deadelus and a Phoenix in stock. A little creative shipping and simply superb customer service from senoir Madcow meant that by noon today I was back on the bike for an awesome session. The setback is marvelous and turned out to really be something that I needed. Well here are the pics, bike is 12.7lbs (in or around, maybe lighter now?) and dirty as hell because well I ride it. BTW god I love the Ergomo, I saw a noticed change in my power with the setback (not to mention I felt better on it). Saddle is even comfier then the Apollo :D oh so happy. Here are the pics!

Funny story, I was coming in from three hours, heard a rattle I recognized as a loose saddle (learned from the M2 post). I had worried in my excitement that I had not tightened the clamp enough. Sure enough she was getting loose, oh jeez I don't ride to stand for 4 more miles. As I pull into a parking lot to make a phone call... rattle rattle clink clink DAMNIT my saddle fell off :lol: . Ran into some window place and they had an allen key, fixed her and now all is well :D.

K

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Have you noticed FedEx and UPS trucks always(almost) park their trucks in a position where they don't have to back up? Years ago, their insurance claims were in the millions$$$ because of backing in and out of the places where they were dropping off the packages. They are now trained to park in a position where they use reverse as little as possible. Apparently not so in your case. :cry: So he wasn't following company rules. :wink:
That is a sweet seat you got from Madcow! Did he ship it FedEx? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knut

by Knut

Glad to hear it was mostly material damage and that you're alright! Nice replacements you've already got from the drunk cat in Tucson! :D

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Wow glad you are ok, could we see some pics off all the destroyed/ scraped parts?
Cannondale is quite simply the best

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

Hey iubike...Did you happen to be at Tour Da Vinci this weekend?? That bike looks awfully familiar and the guy I saw with it had an IU jersey.

iubike

by iubike

That was me, I was in my team gear though (Morris Trucking). Pretty fast race, especially for my first of the season :oops: .

K

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

Yeah it was. I was in the 4/5 race and was in the break with my teammate pretty much the entire race. I caught the back of his calf when I was pulling through and went down hard. Cracked my helmet and got some road rash. Took my free lap and caught back on and we came across side by side for first and second. That was a fun race though. LMPD crit should be fun too. 8 turns and looks pretty technical.

Cool to know a fellow WW is racing alongside me.

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

TunedCannondaleR700 wrote:Wow glad you are ok, could we see some pics off all the destroyed/ scraped parts?

We could start a thread of wrecked bike parts!

retemple

by retemple

Kyle, where'd this happen exactly? When did it happen? Was it Monday night after the Scott demo thing?

iubike

by iubike

Rob, it was actually before the Demo, I had a workout early and was just finishing things up, kind of sucked. The appraiser will be here tomorrow, I just can't wait to explain to them that it is not a great idea to ride components that are both super light and crashed on even though they may look "just scratched" :roll: .

K

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

geraintnorman wrote:
TunedCannondaleR700 wrote:Wow glad you are ok, could we see some pics off all the destroyed/ scraped parts?

We could start a thread of wrecked bike parts!

I've got plenty for that thread :cry:

retemple

by retemple

Good luck. I imagine you will fare well. If you need anyone to back you up I know some people that could vouch for you (we do failure and materials analyses). One of the guys I work with (that rode a Scott on Monday night) is a materials engineer.

What hill were you on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com