HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bike Update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:14 pm 

Ahhh, my bike has some new wheels! Er, just not what I planned on. If any of you noticed I sold my AM Classic 420's the other day because a freind of mine was hooking me up with zipps, only problem is the zipps have a crack in the rim! So I had no wheels on my bike for about 24 hours, and I ride everyday so I needed wheels! Heres what ended up going down, bought some Ksyrium SSC SL's, it was either that or the Rolf Elan Aero wheels, much lighter but not an every day wheel. Think there good? I could always sell them and buy another set of 420's or something else, what do you guys think? I do admit, I like the way the SSC's look on my bike, but it makes my bike even closer to R5000 spec, and adds 80g. :cry:

Attachments:
File comment: Sweet!
My Bike2.JPG
My Bike2.JPG [ 122.91 KiB | Viewed 712 times ]

Last edited by Superlite on Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Bike Update
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:51 am 

Superlite, haven't you been touting SSC SL's for months as "bombproof" everyday wheels? Without even having them??? Well, now you do....
As they say, be careful what you wish for.... :P

I think they look great on the bike, but more important is how they perform for you. Why would you sell them? Keep them for everyday, and if you save money get some event wheels somewhere, if you really need them. From what I've read you can't go wrong with these everyday/or for most events. You got them right away, they work, you're riding: It's a good choice I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:07 am 

Dude you don't have a spare set of wheels to your name?

Esp as your racing, I would have a set of 32h Excel-Light or something similar wheels for training on, if nothing else it saves the "good" wheels for racing, and if your in a crash or damage in any other way (let alone selling your good wheels!) one set of wheels at least you don't have to wait for them to be fixed before you can ride. Plus, what if you find a problem with a wheel right before a race? You go begging, or your SOL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:57 am 

Quote:

You got it! I'm foolin with one set. I just can't help it, every time I'm about to buy a training set I tell my self, hey, that's money that could go towards a new set of racing wheels. Then you know what happens!

As long as they are bombproof and are as good as everyone tells me they are it's cool, otherwise, ebay, here you come!

Post subject: Re: Bike Update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:16 am 

Superlite wrote:
Heres what ended up going down, bought some Ksyrium SSC SL's, it was either that or the Rolf Elan Aero wheels, much lighter but not an every day wheel.

Can't go wrong with that Superlite.. good choice I think. If you only have one set, they're the one to have. I just wanted to comment that I have the Rolf Elan's (not the aero though) and have logged over 5k on them .. I weigh 180 lbs and I can tell you they take abuse and keep coming back for more. I love those wheels and (thus far) I can say they're a fine everyday wheel. I'm yet to need to true them and the hubs are quiet and smooth as silk. ... but the ksyriums are great, actually I'm thinking of getting a set but it would be for a randonneur bike (durability and reliability over weight). The climbing bike keeps the rolfs. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:10 am 

Superlite wrote:
Quote:

You got it! I'm foolin with one set. I just can't help it, every time I'm about to buy a training set I tell my self, hey, that's money that could go towards a new set of racing wheels. Then you know what happens!

As long as they are bombproof and are as good as everyone tells me they are it's cool, otherwise, ebay, here you come!

Dude :!: That's not good. Someone said once "You can never have too many wheels" maybe it was Eddy Merckx (which would make sense), or maybe it was his mechanic and he got paid per wheel, but it's true, you can't!

Do you ride with your saddle sloping downwards at the front, or is it the camera angle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:32 am 

Well i think he should have a second pair of wheels (every racer should). but what do you think of the wheels so far? notice any difference between them and the CR-420?

What is the weight of the ksyrium sl Rim, just the rims alone? Does anyone know.

By the way i think the wheels look good on your bike, but i like the deeper look of the Cr-420. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:09 pm 

Ksyriium SSC SL rim is 445gr.

Bye, Benz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:15 pm 

Quote:
Do you ride with your saddle sloping downwards at the front, or is it the camera angle?

Weird huh? With that seat I find it to be very comfortable like that, allows me to slide up or down into the posisition I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:10 pm 

Superlite wrote:
Quote:

Weird huh? With that seat I find it to be very comfortable like that, allows me to slide up or down into the posisition I want.

Real wierd....doesn't it put a lot of pressure on your arms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:09 pm 

Now that you mention it it does put some pressure on my arms on the flats, but not enough to bother me, I've got some muscle to hold myself up. :wink:

But when you climb with the seat at an angle, the seat is no longer effectively at an angle, it becomes level and much more comfortable for climbing then a set that is level on flats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:12 pm 

Superlite wrote:
Now that you mention it it does put some pressure on my arms on the flats, but not enough to bother me, I've got some muscle to hold myself up. :wink:

But when you climb with the seat at an angle, the seat is no longer effectively at an angle, it becomes level and much more comfortable for climbing then a set that is level on flats.

I'm not trying to criticise, it was just something I noticed, so I hope you don't that this the wrong way. I don't understand how it can be more comfortable for climbing though, and unless your just TTing up Mt Evans, you do have to ride back down?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:43 pm 

I'm by no means a road rider 100% off road so take this how you will.

I've always been told to tilt my saddle slighlty up to save pressure on my arms and to stop me from sliding off the seat.

Works like a treat for me, but having a bike fit is such a personal thing each to their own I say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:55 pm 
Administrator

100% mtb myself too,

I always put my saddle level. No sliding, and no numbness! I really like the zero offset pins, because of the micro adjustment you can make.

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:58 pm 

Quote:
I'm not trying to criticise, it was just something I noticed, so I hope you don't that this the wrong way. I don't understand how it can be more comfortable for climbing though, and unless your just TTing up Mt Evans, you do have to ride back down?!?

I know your not criticising me, why do you think I do?

Anyways, it just works for me, I find it to be super comfortable. Downhill isn't really a problem, as most of the time I'm in an aero position out of the saddle, and when I am in the saddle I don't slip, I think it's due to the suade center strip on the saddle.

Go to page 1, 2  Next