DMT shoes...Looking for advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TSMonk

by TSMonk

So I have decided to get a pair of DMT shoes, coming off a pair of Sidi. I am 45 in Sidi and assume I will be 45 in DMT. Is this a safe assumption or does DMT run larger/smaller? And here is the next part... I am debating between getting the DMT Kyoma and the Flash. Their site says the Kyoma is lighter and they are cheaper. Should be a no brainer, go for the Kyoma. BUT.... How sick do the Flash shoes look in the limited edition Petacchi:

So I am looking for some advise on which ones to go with. Performance wise they seem comparable except for the top strap.

So...

DMT Flash Petacchi for around $350

OR

DMT Kyoma for around $310
Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

I wore a 43.5 Sidi for years & when I went to DMT I was told to go 43 so I did. It fit fine except the toe box was bigger/wider. So the tongue of the DMT kept working its way to the side. Even with the buckle full tight.
I eventually went back to Sidi as it fit me a bit better.

The DMT's were great shoes though. But in my experience you need to drop a 1/2 size going from Sidi to DMT

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

TS, i'm a 45.5 in Sidi's and have just bought the 53x11 flash shoes (Petacchi). These are 45's.

acg

by acg

As a man who has just bought some Kyomas that are too big I warn you to be careful !

Leroni

by Leroni

i had sidi 43 and the 53x11 in size 42

buy the flash!!

TSMonk

by TSMonk

LJ or any one else with the shoes.

How do they break in. They have a more plastic like feel in the upper material than the Sidi shoes I think. The cut out of the sole of the shoe feels better on the DMT than the Sidi for my feet, but I do not like the initial feel. Do they break in soft or do they stay stiffer and plastic like. Any one else who has used Sidi shoes and DMT shoes feel this way or am I out of my mind? I have obviously ony used Sidi shoes.

Thanks

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

YOu might want to check the price on those 52x11s. I was under the impression that they were significantly more expensive than the regular Flashes. However, I have tried the flashes on and they fit very similarly to my Sidis. PM madcow, I think fairwheel has a pair of 45 53x11s kicking around.

TSMonk

by TSMonk

520 Dan wrote:YOu might want to check the price on those 52x11s. I was under the impression that they were significantly more expensive than the regular Flashes.

A few spots online had them for an extra 10 bucks. I think I can deal with that.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I heard the 52-11's were a bit cheaper than the 53-11's... :wink:

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

TSMonk wrote:LJ or any one else with the shoes.

How do they break in. They have a more plastic like feel in the upper material than the Sidi shoes I think.

Thanks

TS, they do break in but as you know you can just put Sidi's on and off you go.

I had particular breaking in problems with the DMT's in the ankle/achilles area. They tend to be quite stiff and did cause pain just below the outside of the ankle bone.

No problems after two or three rides though.
Last edited by LJ on Sun May 21, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mascott

by mascott

DMT's are really cool. The material is similar too whats in nike football boots in the newer models, looks great and easy to clean.
If you have skinny feet, like me, the flash's won't fit (the buckle wont tighten up enough), But the kyomas are well cool. I've got white ones but im now undecided whats the best colour, because the silver is really cool too.