Time RXS Carbon or Look Keo Carbon/Classic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

What is stiffer and better?

The only thing i know is that the Time RXS Cleats will lasts longer.
weight is not really a matter, i'm looking for a good and strong pedal.
maybe even Time RXS and not Carbon? i heard there are some problems with the carbon and carbon ti version...

Kuiper

by Kuiper

I was also thinking what to buy the Keo our the Time RXS,
but after long thinking: I choosed to take the Look Keo Carbon, just because of that fact that I am used to Look,

Take the Pedal where you got the most trust in and take a good look for prices at different bikeshops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I'm going to go with LOOK for the same reason - I've just been using them for years. My quandry is the Ti vs the Chromolly. Decisions, decisions....

:)

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

Kuiper wrote:I was also thinking what to buy the Keo our the Time RXS,
but after long thinking: I choosed to take the Look Keo Carbon, just because of that fact that I am used to Look,

Take the Pedal where you got the most trust in and take a good look for prices at different bikeshops.

I'm currently using miche 502 pedal (which i have for 2 years from my first bike) it's a Look like Cleat and Pedal System, but the pedal is starting to make some noises and i think it's about to break.
also i can see that the surface of the pedal got ruined from the cleat.

I want to know which pedal will be stronger and won't disappoint me...

crypt0

by crypt0

Using the basic Time RXS (non carbon/titanium)road pedals. They are my first pair of road pedals since it is my first season on a road bicycle. Took a few seconds to acquaint myself with the pedals. The only time I have trouble engaging the pedal is when trying to engage while going up a hill. When you initially get onto the bike/push off to engage the pedal it will pivot backwards so much that the pedal is near upside down and then it's hard (near impossible? o_O) to engage. Besides that, the Time RXS pedals seem like a miniaturized K2 Clicker system (If any of you are familiar with snowboarding...) so they were relatively easy to use. Decided to go with the basic Time RXS (non carbon/titanium) pedals since there really wasn't much of a weight difference between the RXS and RXS Carbon version, and since they were my first ever road pedals, I figured I might want to try some different pedals in the near future say LOOK Keo or Speedplays and didn't want to spend triple the amount of money for the Time RXS Titanium/Carbon version. By the way I am using the Cafe cleats with my pedals. Hope you find this somewhat helpful.
FREE - FUNCTIONAL - SECURE
http://OpenBSD.org/

Frans

by Frans

I just went from 20 years with Look to the RXS. I'm wondering why. The basic RXS pedal is light (125 g) but the float is in the toe - the rear brass chuck stays put. I've found it easy to come out of them but will learn - hopefully.

Even tho I went from very high shoe to spindal PP256 to the RXS, I cannot notice any difference in pedalling.

All in all, I should've stayed with the 256 - can't see a reason to spend 60 quid on pedals that don't deliver 60 quids worth of benefit.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I use the Time RXS Carbon. Very nice when clipped in and pedalling. Low stack height, good adjustability of Q angle with reversable cleat, decent tension setting, very good adjustability of foot angle (toe in or toe out) and good cornering clearance. They are a little squirmy feeling because they are very free floating. For many this is an advantage but for those who prefer to feel "locked" in they may find this disconserting. Personally I would like to see a touch more resistance in the float or an adjustment to control this.

What I don't like is how difficult that are to get into. It is difficult to catch the front of the cleat in the correct spot on the pedal without looking. I regard this problem as minor - what matters is how they perform when you are in (besides I can do a track stand so no need to clip in or out at stop lights).

For me the deciding factor was the adjustability of the cleat. With my previous Shimano pedals I could not get my foot far enough forward on the pedal due to my rediculous size 45 feet. With the Time I have more fore and aft cleat adjustment which solves this problem.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sun May 14, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipaul

by ipaul

Mr.Gib wrote:Personally I would like to see a touch more resistance in the float or an adjustment to control this.

Isn't that what the S.E.T. feature is for on the side of the pedal? You can really increase the resistance with this feature.
:P

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ipaul wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:Personally I would like to see a touch more resistance in the float or an adjustment to control this.

Isn't that what the S.E.T. feature is for on the side of the pedal? You can really increase the resistance with this feature.

I believe the little allen key adjustment on the inboard side of the pedal is really just the release setting. The manual that comes with the pedals says nothing about float resistance adjustment. Perhaps when you tighten the release setting there is more resistance in the float, however I am on the second tightest release setting and the float is still very free.

Perhaps the top model, the Ti includes an adjustment for float - not sure.

ipaul

by ipaul

Mr.Gib wrote:I believe the little allen key adjustment on the inboard side of the pedal is really just the release setting.

Yes, the allen key is used to adjust the resistance in the spring on the cleat. If your on the middle, try the highest setting. Its pretty tight as float goes and feels like a bigger jump in tension vs going to form easy to medium setting. Entry may be a bit tougher for you at first, but should improve as you continue to use.
:P

foxracer826

by foxracer826

Personally, I ride the shimano dura ace pedals, even though I use campagnolo parts. They are the most solid, reliable pedals I have used and when it comes to something that is definately going to be taking a beating and needs to hold up, I put weight aside and took these, for their solidness. The cleats and all are great, haven't had one problem. If I had to make your decisiion I would definately go with times, they look great and many people have spoken well about them. When I went into the local bike shop looking for pedals though, the sales person tried to steer me away from them because they have a tip on them that he said could easily be broken off in a crash, so in that case the looks maybe safer to go with. good luck.

swinter

by swinter

for what it's worth, i switched from the shimano pedals to the look keo carbons and couldn't be happier. much easier to get and out of and has a solid platform for fast acceleration.

haven't used the time speedplays, but there are plenty of posters on here that swear by them.

(i bet that either set would be fine) :wink:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kuiper

by Kuiper

I saw yesterday the Time RXS Pedals they look small on bike :shock: If you look to the look Keo