crankset recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonize

by carbonize

Hi,

Am in the midst of picking a standard crankset for my bike. Was initially looking at the FSA K-force Megaexo but the reviews on it turned me off. Apparently not reliable at all.

Looking forward to your inputs!

Danton

by Danton

Help us out:
- budget?
- riding style?
- crank length?
- compact or not?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonize

by carbonize

budget should be around the price of the K-force megaexo, btw I am replacing the ultegra 10 speed crank. not looking at compact cranks, standard. not to sure how to answer the part on riding style. crank length should be either 170 or 172.5.

thanks!

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

I sucked it up and sprung for the Stronglight Pulsion with the ceramic coated rings. I've been tremendously happy, they're stiff as all getout, they look good, and very few people have them. I have seen some horror pics floating around of them split in half, but I think that's rare. If you can get a good deal, go for it.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Dura Ace. Best for the money. Not that sexy though, but I have hand polished mine (and thereby removed the DA lettering, as I have Record on rest of the bike) and put in a FSA ceramic BB.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

tagging along as I'm crank shopping too.

I'd heard the Pulsion CT2's were flexy? I want all black (which is why I wasn't considering Dura Ace). Plus I'm hard on drive trains, and those horror pics you mentioned do concern me a bit.

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Ravenmore wrote:tagging along as I'm crank shopping too.

I'd heard the Pulsion CT2's were flexy? I want all black (which is why I wasn't considering Dura Ace). Plus I'm hard on drive trains, and those horror pics you mentioned do concern me a bit.

The Stronglights' are crap. If they don't break in half you will probably pull the pedal threads out of the arms or the self extractors.

Stick to DA but if you need black I would go for FSA. I'm consider the aluminium Energy - came out stiffest in the Tour test.

TLOUIE

by TLOUIE

If you are on a reasonable budget, go for a DA 7800 crankset, then can be had for <$300 on ebay and various web deals, best value/strength/lightweight for the $

If $ is no object, wait for the new zero gravity crankset, or maybe try the Clavicula

http://www.thm-carbones.com/english/Pro ... /index.php

carbonize wrote:budget should be around the price of the K-force megaexo, btw I am replacing the ultegra 10 speed crank. not looking at compact cranks, standard. not to sure how to answer the part on riding style. crank length should be either 170 or 172.5.

thanks!
Giant TCR Once Composite (6300g complete!, <6000g soon)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... php?t=9829

Giant TCR Team Al, Giant MCR Aero, Giant MCM Team, Giant NRS Team

88,000 gram Rider........

Irish

by Irish

Up to yesterday I would have recomended Campag Record Carbon,until I pulled out of a race thinking I had a bent pedal axel & realised it was the Alloy insert coming out of the crank. If i'd attacked or had to climb out of the saddle !!!!!!!!!!(will post pics soon)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

geraintnorman wrote:
Ravenmore wrote:tagging along as I'm crank shopping too.

The Stronglights' are crap. If they don't break in half you will probably pull the pedal threads out of the arms or the self extractors.

Stick to DA but if you need black I would go for FSA. I'm consider the aluminium Energy - came out stiffest in the Tour test.

What's your view of the (Stronglight made) Time ASX Titan (compact) cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com