Soloist post / fork substitutions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

12x23

by 12x23

WW’s - this is my first bici related post here and I’m hopeful you forumites can help me.

I got my first close look at a Cervelo Soloist in the flat black anodize scheme before my road race Sunday and now I have to have one. 8)

In looking at online retailers the description states aluminum seatpost and steel steerer Wolf fork. I would think I could get a couple hundred grams out of the build by replacing those two items. One retailer suggested not changing to another fork stating the Soloist / Wolf fork are designed to work together. For real?; or do any of you have suggestions for an alternative? I have an Easton 90slx – anyone using this combination? I don’t want to save weight at the expense of the steering / handling of the bike.

How much to upgrade to the carbon seatpost with the carbon Soloist? Or, is the weight difference negligible?

Anybody with pictures? I think the ano-black with 404’s looks like it could when any race w/out at rider. That is one hot bici.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hyde

by Hyde

For some reason I am thinking the Cervelo has a 1" head tube size. Am I wrong? I never cared much for the looks of the Cervelo supplied forks. My frist inclination would be to change it out with something lighter & similar geometry. YOu are right though. THe Cervelo is a nice looking ride, especially with 404s!

12x23

by 12x23

At least the 2006 is / appears to be.

cervelorider

by cervelorider

Its 1 1/8 for sure as i have one. I run an Easton EC90SL fork on there.

12x23

by 12x23

What size frame; did you swap from the Wolf, if so any change in ride, handling?

I'll be needing a 58cm, I'm 6'1" and 140 lbs, so I think the slx should be ok for me.

Hyde

by Hyde

Damn, that's thin! :shock: I thought I was fairly slender at 40 lbs more :shock:

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

True Temper/Alpa Q makes 3 different Wolf branded strainght forks for Cervélo + the curved Cervélo zero3 fork:

Wolf Aero (for TT bikes)
Wolf CL (straight aero shaped road fork, alloy or steel steerer I think?)
Wolf SL (straight aero shaped road fork, lighter than CL, carbon steerer)
zero3 (curved fork used for R3)

Actually it's possible to choose to buy the Soloist with the Wolf SL already mounted instead of Wolf CL if you request this, you can choose any of the Alpha Q or Wolf/Cervélo forks on a new frame.

Team CSC mostly use the Alpha Q G10 forks, but this season some of the riders have strated to use Wolf SL on their Soloist Carbon bikes.

ajh

by ajh

You can also look at getting the SLC post as it is only 185 grams and is all carbon and lacks the flipable head.

I have a Ritchey WCS carbon on my SLC and that is a nice fit. The matte finish on the Easton may have a nice look though.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I would not bother with the fork, you may find lighter ones that fit, but the steer steerer is stiff, strong and aero.
you will save 100g by going to the CF seatpost and a light saddle could save another 100g.

Keep swapping out parts however, and you'll soon find you could have bought an R3 frame.

footwerx

by footwerx

The SLC carbon post won't fit on the Soloist Team frame.

You can try getting the carbon seatpost that comes on the P3 or P3SL. It has a flippable head and will fit on the alu Soloist.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

^^ that's what I have, very nice seatpost.

hardy

by hardy

regarding the fork, i have just built my soloist team frame up and it came supplied with a wolf fork, i assumed it was the cl, however it has a carbon seerer. weight was around 300-350g uncut (sorry can't remember exactly).

p.s. i didn't request the the fork upgrade or pay any more.... go figure :D
"no hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle"
Sir Winston Churchill

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

hardy wrote:regarding the fork, i have just built my soloist team frame up and it came supplied with a wolf fork, i assumed it was the cl, however it has a carbon seerer. weight was around 300-350g uncut (sorry can't remember exactly).

p.s. i didn't request the the fork upgrade or pay any more.... go figure :D

Doesn't it say SL on the side of the fork near the dropout's then?
Like this one:
http://www.cervelo.com/models/fullsize/ ... SLC-SL.png

12x23

by 12x23

I think I'll sit on this a while, at least 'til the fever drops, and look for a local dealer. Maybe the dealer will have a frameset with the lighter fork like hardy's experience.

Hyde

by Hyde

If it is 300-350 uncut like the fork above I wouldn't spend the extra bucks right away. That's pretty light & you coud spend that dough elsewhere for better results now. Who knows, the fork may suit you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com