It's almost ready

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I run a third eye chain watcher with the single chainring setup?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:22 am

Yes, run chain watcher
71%
No, leave it
29%

Total votes: 21

bikeuphill9

by bikeuphill9

Well, it is almost ready. Just waiting for the wheels and tires. This whole setup will only be used in uphill races. For everything else it is back to two up front.

Cloth handlebar tape
DuraAce non-sti right brake lever
single speed front (ie no large chainring or front derailure
SLR saddle

Now my only question is whether or not to run a chain watcher. I havn't had any problems yet.
Attachments
Handlebars... gota love the old school tape.
Handlebars... gota love the old school tape.
Single up front.
Single up front.
The whole shebang.
The whole shebang.
Last edited by bikeuphill9 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today" James Dean

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jake B

by Jake B

looks pretty good-how much does it weigh?

Jake

Skyleth

by Skyleth

you could always run a carbon guard on both sides...
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

racyrich

by racyrich

Are these uphill races TTs? If so, do you expect to use the drops? No? Saw 'em off!

bikeuphill9

by bikeuphill9

Are these uphill races TTs? If so, do you expect to use the drops? No? Saw 'em off!

Yes, this set up will be used for up hill races (mainly tts). Howevery I only own one set of handle bars and will use this bike (with double chain rings) for non-hill climb events as well.
As for the weight of the bike, hopefully I will be able to pick up a scale this afternoon.

bikeuphill9

by bikeuphill9

Finally got a scale. 17lbs 7oz or 7.91kg. Not a feather weight but difinetly better than it used to be. New wheels should be here soon. Will weigh again in climbing trim and regular trim.

kAb

by kAb

I might get bashed for this one, because this guys goal is to drop weight, but c'mon...

Why are you doing all of this? The grams you've shaved are virtually meaningless. and not only hendered the way your bike will ride if its not up hill (instead of chaning parts constantly depending on the ride you're going on). All this to be in the 17 pound range?

Throw some nicer parts on that steed and bring the weight down and still have your bike in "regular" form.

Mind I ask, what level of racing you do?

I like the idea of having just a brake lever for the front braking, but i would do it in combination with an downtube shifter for shifting in the front, because i would use two rings.

Regardless, you're shaving weight and that is what this site is about so, good job i guess :roll:

bikeuphill9

by bikeuphill9

Being a college student with a low paying job, there is not a lot I can upgrade on the bike. I agree kAb that it is not the most practile thing, but I enjoy working on the bike and the parts didn't cost much. Brake levers $15 (will later be used on my fixie project). Single speed chainring bolts $6 (again will be used on fixie project). I would have liked to upgrade both the seatpost, handle bars, and bottle cages, but wheels came first and changing saddles and replacing a broken stem came second. As for the lack of practicality, the bike will only be set up this way for the week before hill climbs, of which I plan on racing 2 or 3 this season. I agree it suck to be stuck on my small chainring all the time. Maybe once this college education begines to pay me back will I be able to do some practile upgrades. 0G cranks, brakes, USE seatpost, 199 bar, CAAD 8 frame (or whatever is the newest thing out there) :) Of course this education might only lead to a bike shop. :D By the way sorry for the spelling. I am a physics, math, & art student, not English

By the way Cat 5, though hopefully I will be upgraded by the end of the year.

kAb

by kAb

Sounds good then! I like seeing how you mentioned wheels first. That's where you're suposed to start the bike!

mouse

by mouse

i think it's a great budget uphill tt bike. i'd like to see more. my 16 pound giant is light by local standards but heavy compared to bikes on this site. i still love the way it rides and when i'm fit i've outsprinted cat 1 and 2 riders on climbs (then i get dropped immediately on the other side of the hill.) it's all about the motor! good luck in your race!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com