New bike weight is freaking me out!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milano3v

by milano3v

I just placed an order for an ORBEA altec frame with the ZUES FCM fork. It is one of the options for our team bikes, most got the Lobular. Anyhow I just ran the numbers with the components, and race wheels. DA 9 speed kit, ZIPP 303's and the expected finishing components... and it weighs in just under 14 LBS....13.8 to be exact!!!!! I swear I missed something... this is not right! I have gone through this a bunch of times. Weight is not a big concern for me... in fact something this light scares me a bit, the dudes who got the Starship or Lobular are in for an even bigger treat, as those are even lighter. I need to look at these numbers again... just thought I would share... My current ride is 17LB's, DEDA 16.5 EOM steel... beautiful bike, but not nearly as light... YIKES.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

That's why the UCI limit makes no sense, it's easy to build a lighter bike.
Ride lightly!

bobalou

by bobalou

milano3v wrote: Anyhow I just ran the numbers with the components, and race wheels. DA 9 speed kit, ZIPP 303's and the expected finishing components... and it weighs in just under 14 LBS....13.8 to be exact!!!!!

Post the list if you can.. it would be interesting to see.

milano3v

by milano3v

I forgot the chain! That added a bit... total now is 14.5 LBS or 6581g I also did not add in the cable, so maybe another 1/2 lbs... Still light, not sub 14 LBs like I thought... but still freaked me out.!

Orbea Altec 54cm = 1271g
Zeus FCM fork = 400
Zipp 303 Tubular Wheelset = 1124
Vittoria CX Tub x 2 = 480
Shimano DA crankset 172.5 = 599
Shimanon DA RD = 196
Shimano DA FD = 82
Shimano DA Brakes = 318
Shimano DA Shifters = 395
Shimano DA BB = 175
Shimano DA Cassette = 145
Look PP 396 Pedal = 398
Easton EC 90 Bar = 190
Easton EC 90 Seatpost = 135
Easton EC 70 Stem = 158
SLR Seat = 135
Shimano DA chain = 290
Integrated HS = approx 90g

Delpi

by Delpi

Easton EC 90 Seatpost = 135

Are you sure that the EC 90 Seatpost weights only 135g?
I Know that the weight is 155g
Ciao Zauri

KB

by KB

The difference is usually the wheels and tyres. It was in my case. I have a pair of Tunes with the ZIPP rims and skewers (1150g). With the 320g a pairTufo's they are seriously light. Under 1.5 kg> Before that on Spinergy Spox's 1700g add on tyres and tubes 600g - A difference of approx 1.5 lbs. immediately.

milano3v

by milano3v

When I ordered it from the shop the catalog said 135g... It probably was wrong. Add 20g's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milano3v

by milano3v

Yeah, wheels will do it. I train on OP with DA hubs, that adds a lot of weight. The zipps on my Milano put it around 17lbs... so this is still lighter than I am currently on with the zipps... The ORBEA with OP will ring in around the Milano with ZIPP.

The funny thing is I feel bad getting the ORBEA, I love the Milano so much that I feel as though I am betraying it. The ORBEA is a team bike, so I will have to ride it more often than not... :(

But on the up side, racing the Milano puts a lot of stress on it, and it will eventually be tangled in a crash, SO... the ORBEA will the one taking the abuse... It is probably a stonger tubed frame, the DEDA 16.5 Steel, seems fragile, crush easily... The ALTEC is probably not a fragile.

The cost of the ALTEC to me was next to nothing... Race the hell out of it, train hard on it, if it gets dinged in a race altercation.. OH WELL.