valve extensions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gazrichards

by gazrichards

i feel really thick for having to ask this but i just cant work it out myself?
i have some new deep section wheels which obviously need valve extenders (which i have)
but heres the thing.....how do i use them? i cant seem to attach them to the presta valve. should it just screw on to the existing valve? does it stay on there all the time?
i have vittoria extensions and am using (and have tried) loads of diffrent tubes.
oh the shame of it!

Skyleth

by Skyleth

there are two types of valve extenders out there, one that just is a little pipe that slips over your existing valve, and another for valves w/ removable valve cores (most tubular tires, tufo makes a lot of these)... most, if not all, valves on tubes sold for clincher use the first type of extender. What you do is unscrew the little nut for the presta valve, put a little teflon tape around the threaded piece at the tip, and then screw on the extender over the entire bit. You'll never close the nut in use, but you shouldn't have to... and to pump, just put your pump over the extender and when the hose pressure exceeds that inside the tube it'll open up and operate normally.

the teflon tape will prevent leaks between the extender and the valve... but is not necessary for the type of extenders intended for use w/ replacable valve cores. w/o the teflon tape you'll get alot of air escaping thru the threads (of the extender and valve) over 80 or so PSI.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You need to unscrew the valve core first, put in on the top end of the extension than screw the extender on the valve stem.

Ciao, :wink:

This is the one you need for tubes with a fixed valve core. It won't work on stems with a removable core:

Last edited by fdegrove on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Boonen

by Boonen

You can unscrew the actual valve of your tire (probably a silver coloured bit) using the plastic thing you get with the Vittoria extenders or you could just use a pair of pliers or a small wrench. You then screw the extender on the the tube and the actual valve you got out in the extender again. I always use some plumbers tape around the threads to make sure it's secure and doesn't leak air.
Hope this is understandable!

edit: I see I was way to slow here :lol:
Last edited by Boonen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

I used them for a while on my Zipp 404 Clinchers, and then switched to 80mm valve presta tubes made by Vendenstein- much better, especially for on the road flat repair.

:D
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Coolhand wrote:I used them for a while on my Zipp 404 Clinchers, and then switched to 80mm valve presta tubes made by Vendenstein- much better, especially for on the road flat repair.

:D

Who?..........Or do you mean Vredestein?

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

rustychain

by rustychain

This may be obvious but with some tubes you can't remove the valve core. I also mount a valve extention on my spare tube so I don't have to mess with them on a ride

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the tufos work well with the valve extender, as fdegrove shows. that is the easiest imo since you always have access to your valve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com