Whats the deal with Fulcrum?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TriGuy

by TriGuy

I realise they are owned by campy but are they made in a different factory or are they just the same wheels exactly?
The racing1 looks very similar to something along the lines of the Eurus..
Then what is the racing3's? I cant find a weight for them does anybody out there have a weight?
They would make a change to the kysrium line as they seem similar in specs and weight,
I have heard great things about the whole line of wheels. It would be interesting to know
Thanks
"If you arent traing... Your compition are"

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

TriGuy wrote:The racing1 looks very similar to something along the lines of the Eurus..

Eurus and Racing1 are basically the same wheel. But the difference is Eurus has the special Campagnolo G3 spoke pattern in the rear wheel, while Racing1 has a traditional spoke pattern.

Eurus 2006 Black rear wheel with G3 soke pattern:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Danton

by Danton

It's a branding exercise. Campagnolo realised that a lot of people won't going to fit Campagnolo wheels on to their Shimano-equipped bikes, partly because some thought they were not compatible, partly because it's a no-no to combine the parts (save the "but I've got a Dura Ace chainset or Record front mech" posts please!). So in order to sell more wheels and to attack the giant sales that Mavic enjoys, they've created Fulcrum.

Of course, the branding extends to some different design but the differences in performance between the wheelsets is small. The new RacingLights carbon wheel looks suspiciously like a Hyperon.

TriGuy

by TriGuy

Yes the lacing pattern.. In a hurry I only searched the front wheels :oops: my bad
"If you arent traing... Your compition are"

tcr

by tcr

:search:

The differences between the two have been extensively discussed in the past... but I will do a quick summary for you.

-The Eurus is slightly lighter
-Eurus has G3 spoke lacing
-Fulcrum has 'differential profile' spokes (a lot of people don't notice this but when you actually see and compare the spokes in real life they look quite different)
-Eurus rims are 24mm front and 28mm rear, Fulcrum rims 26mm.

I really doubt that you could notice any difference between the two whilst riding... so go for which ever one you can get cheaper.

Refie

by Refie

Machining of the rim is also different

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Danton wrote:It's a branding exercise. Campagnolo realised that a lot of people won't going to fit Campagnolo wheels on to their Shimano-equipped bikes, partly because some thought they were not compatible, partly because it's a no-no to combine the parts (save the "but I've got a Dura Ace chainset or Record front mech" posts please!). So in order to sell more wheels and to attack the giant sales that Mavic enjoys, they've created Fulcrum.

Yes, that's about it. And by doing so they made a wheel similar to Mavic Ksyrium: so, by attacking the Shimano-wheelpart of the market they became a strong opponent of Mavic as well!

tcr wrote:The differences between the two have been extensively discussed in the past... but I will do a quick summary for you.

-The Eurus is slightly lighter
-Eurus has G3 spoke lacing
-Fulcrum has 'differential profile' spokes (a lot of people don't notice this but when you actually see and compare the spokes in real life they look quite different)
-Eurus rims are 24mm front and 28mm rear, Fulcrum rims 26mm.

Indeed those spokes look very nice when you see those in real.

Not said in this topic yet: the Fulcrum carbon wheels, available now. They are similar to Campa Bora's and Hyperons (never G3-spoking on Fulcrums, since "G3" is a Campa pattern), but they have an alu hub (not a carbon one like Campa).
Don't get confused by Fulcrum carbon wheels you'll see on pros bike: some of these are early rebadges (QuickStep for instance still has some carbon Fulcrums with carbon hub, Bettini uses these quite often).

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/

secret_smile

by secret_smile

So is the fulcrum crono disc the same as the campag disc?? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Refie

by Refie

I think most people refer to the Racing 1 spokes, they are really nice!: