HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:13 am 

I think the FSA K Force light is one of the most elegant, most beautiful, and sweetest looking cranks ever made. Love that marble look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:57 am 

thank you velocity for the FSA pics.

now if offered the k-force sl crank with the big cnc chain-ring and outside bearing would be killer and light 8)

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:57 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:41 pm 

the best thing about the K force lites is that there is an aftermarket crank that is A) lighter than Campy that B) doesn't look hideously out of place with the elegance of 04 record (crank graphics aside).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:29 pm 

Hi all.

New on the site but have been visiting it for quite some time now.

Velocity:

Do you have more pictures of the Kuota Kalibur frame? If you have would you please share them with us? I have the frame in order (it should be in my hands within the next few weeks) and just can't wait to see it for real!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:45 am 

Hey Velocity, got any pics of carbon clinchers comming out? What about those xero's on the TCR advanced, got info on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:01 am 

Im wondering if these Xero wheels are ones from Formula. Or is is that Giagantax carbon wheels and some how they named exacly same as Formula's xero wheels...

I know formula has mtb version of xero out for few years now and they are good wheels for race uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:27 pm 

here's an article from www.mtbwales.co.uk.

scary stuff (hopefully the smaller manufacturers are ok for materials)

Quote:
The word over bike industry news source BikeBiz.com is that suppliers are rapidly running out of bikes. First it was skinny-tyred road bikes, because of non-delivery of high-end Shimano parts but MTBs are now running out too, partly because of the over-heating Chinese economy.

Deore is on a 250 day, ahem, cycle. Steel, carbon fibre, aluminium, plastics, rubber, they're all in short supply.
Shimano first flagged its likely delivery hiatus in December. Hiro Hirata, vice president of sales in Shimano's bicycle components division in Japan wrote to bike builders, apologising for delays in delivering Ultegra, Deore, Dura Ace and other top-end components. Thanks to a hot summer and a dry autumn in Europe, demand had gone through the roof, especially for road kit. Demand for Ultegra rose fivefold, said Hirata.

As if missing parts weren't bad enough, bike manufacturers (and car makers and every other industry, really) started to get charged more for raw materials from the end of January. By February surging demand in China for metal of all types and the weakness of the dollar led to fast price rises for steel, aluminium, titanium and other metals. Mark Lynskey, CEO of the American Bicycle Group in Chattanooga, Tenn., said bike prices will have to rise by 20 percent.

Too conservative said other commentators. The word from the Taipei trade show, held earlier this month, was that price hikes for key bike bits could shoot up by 30 percent. That is if manufacturers can get parts at all.

Raw materials shortages are now so bad in Taiwan that BikeBiz.com reports that Alex Rims was robbed at gunpoint for 21 tons of alloy.

American industry consultant Jay Townley told BikeBiz.com that only thos companies that raise prices will survive.

"This situation will be like a 100 pound weight exerting growing pressure on the chest of the bicycle industry, and the companies that can do it will increase prices, and those that can't, will probably be crushed," said Townley.

To date, no UK suppliers have raised prices but they're working out their pricelists right now and hikes have got to be expected. So, what's the situation going to be like in your corner LBS? Precious few bikes come July is one possibility.

Even the biggest suppliers have had to resort to arm-twisting to get key components ordered pre-Christmas for February delivery to be actually delivered end of May.

And it's not just high-end stuff on the waiting list, suppliers are complaining of July-August delivery slots for lower-end RapidFire components.

www.bikebiz.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:57 pm 

This is scary, I'm an architect and steel prices are killing us all right now. Projects are being stopped/cut back drastically because of the steel/misc. metal market prices/lack of availability.
Something like 40% of worldwide hard construction goods are being used in China alone, Shanghai is growing like a virus. Bummer that's rippled down to bicycle parts too. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:02 pm 

Makes me glad I'm doing my bikes now, and the Euro is even coming down a little against the Dollar. Maybe the Steel Belt will get a regrowth? They could do with the work up there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:06 pm 

maybe the bamboo bike is the new direction!

Wonder if carbon supplies are OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:07 pm 

Why is ABG affected by China prices?
Are they buying ti from China now too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:18 pm 

cadence90 wrote:
Why is ABG affected by China prices?
Are they buying ti from China now too?

Because it affects the world price for raw materials. If one country is taking a lot of aluminum and steel then the world supply has to increase, or the price will go up. ABG have aluminum frames made in the Far East, making them immediately affected by raw material prices, even for the boxes that the bikes (they are assembled over there too) are shipped in. Even Ti uses Vanadium and Aluminum in it's alloy, so those materials (Vanadium is used a lot in tools) are affected, which has an affect on anything that uses them as alloying elements.

Buying futures for raw building and engineering materials in 2001 for 2004 would have been a real smart move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:18 pm 

this is from a UK website. It may be relative to the price of the USA $$ verse the Euro. However I think they would increase across the board a % to offset profits in all markets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:46 pm 

Hey Velocity, could you give me more information on the Mavic Eclispe wheels comming out? Every little detail counts, spoke type, spoke count, rim and spoke material, rim depth, tubless or standard, color. Perhapes you could email me a pic for a sneak peak? :wink:

Thank you!

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:23 am 

Superlite wrote:
Perhapes you could email me a pic for a sneak peak? :wink:
Thank you!

i thought hey said they didnt allow him to take any pictures? i want the same sneaky peak :twisted:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next