My Giant TCR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

homegrown

by homegrown

Well its not done yet but here is what I have so far for my Giant TCR. Its a size Medium, my scale says is 1116 grams for the frame. I was a little disappointed its so much. The fork is 375 with expander plug. I'm still playing with adjustments, thus the numerous spacers. Components:

EC 90 H-bar
Deda Newton stem
Record brake/shift levers
Record Rear. Der.
Chorus Front. Der. and brakes
FSA Compact carbon crank
American Classic carbon wheels
Thompson 410 mm seatpost
Tune Speedneedle saddle
Chorus cassette
Winwood carbon cages

The weight as shown (without pedals) is 14 lbs. I have some speedplay X-1s coming soon. Other upgrades I plan to do:

Extralite Seatpost
Syntace F99 stem
Nokon Gold housing

I may also change out the tires for Tufos (about 160 grams), I have 290 gram Champion tires right now. Also, American Classic aluminum cassette. I might change out the chainrings if there is any weight to be saved. I"ll post full weights and more complete pictures later. Any other areas that you guys suggest for saving weight?
Attachments
giantTCR.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I also have that bike with the same AC wheels. I would suggest some black Cane Creek Ti. brakes with corima brake pads......light and work great!! I have mine at 12.7 lbs

jim

by jim

it's interesting how much the weight on these frames varies. mine came in at 1038gm, and that included the bb cable guide, front derailleur hanger, and the three bolts that hold those items, substituted for alloy of course. i thought my frame on the heavy side, as some of last years size mediums seem to be lighter. the clear coat for this year probably added a little weight, but the improvement in appearance is worth the weight gain :)

and now the advance frame is on the horizon...

cane creek or zero gravity brakes are a very worthy upgrade. for a cheap upgrade, grab some control tech ti qrs. you need an allen key to use them, but they're light at 49 grams. if you order from extralite, grab their seatpost clamp too. the btp one is the lightest at 6 - 7 grams, but it's difficult to obtain. the extralite one is about 10 grams. the american classic isis bb is another good upgrade, but is seldom in stock.

finally, if you get bored, change out some of your steel bolts with ti or alloy. i subsituted the giant supplied stem cap bolt (steel at 7 grams), for a counter sunk alloy bolt, and saved 6 grams! always order a few bolts at time to optimize shipping.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

my frame came in at 1028 grams......it is a 2003

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

cyclemanpat wrote:I also have that bike with the same AC wheels. I would suggest some black Cane Creek Ti. brakes with corima brake pads......light and work great!! I have mine at 12.7 lbs

Hey Pat is your bike listed anywhere?
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Oh yeah, I forgot. You never showed us your bike, are we ever going to see it? 8)

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I gave a parts list a while back...I just got my carbon TCR frame to replace my cracked alloy TCR. I just finally got it put together and rode it today....wow, unreal. I am going to have my buddy take some pics for me with his digital camera....it will be soon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

homegrown wrote:Well its not done yet but here is what I have so far for my Giant TCR. Other upgrades I plan to do:

Extralite Seatpost
Syntace F99 stem
Nokon Gold housing

I may also change out the tires for Tufos (about 160 grams), I have 290 gram Champion tires right now.

Think your upgrades are fine, but definitely go with the Tufo 160g's - you will think you're flying with a pair of them on. Seriously fast tyres. Another half pound saved immediately. Less rolling resistance, less weight, more speed. Have got the pic on my list, but take another picture without the furniture in the way and on a clear background. Then we can really appreciate the trouble you have taken to put it together.