Wippermann Ti Chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Has anyone tried one? I'm thinking of getting one for The Beast :twisted:

Maybe I should change my sig to "Call me crazy baby, YEAH!"
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

You really are nuts! :wink:

Too much money for a high replacement part. You'd only save about 30g over a hollow pin chain. 300-400 for a 30g savings that only lasts 2000 miles? Please tell me your not serious. :lol:

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:You really are nuts! :wink:

Too much money for a high replacement part. You'd only save about 30g over a hollow pin chain. 300-400 for a 30g savings that only lasts 2000 miles? Please tell me your not serious. :lol:

Yes, I'm serious. :twisted:

The art of building a really light bike is to count every gram..... :shock:
Ride lightly!

jim

by jim

ye olde balde one, how about posting your bike spec and pics, even if it is a work in progress... my bike is always a work in progress...

Superlite

by Superlite

Yeah Balde one, after all this time we have never seen your creation. What gives?

And dude, I know, I know, it's your money and your bike, but I think to save 30g by spending $400 on a part that has to be replaced every 2,000 miles is a discusting waste. That would cost me $3200 a year on chains! Cripes! Thats a bike, a nice bike. Or a set of lightweights, you don't toss a set of those out every season do you?

Is this a bike that your gonna ride once a year, or something your gonna ride all the time? If all the time, dude :roll:, if it's not getting much use it's cool.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Yeah Balde one, after all this time we have never seen your creation. What gives?

And dude, I know, I know, it's your money and your bike, but I think to save 30g by spending $400 on a part that has to be replaced every 2,000 miles is a discusting waste. That would cost me $3200 a year on chains! Cripes! Thats a bike, a nice bike.

Is this a bike that your gonna ride once a year, or something your gonna ride all the time? If all the time, dude :roll:, if it's not getting much use it's cool.

What gives is I'm still putting together everything for it/them. Good example, I was cruising the CAT website today, and found they are/were intending to make their cranks in 177.5mm, which I could use - saving me about 130gm over FRM CU2's if I can get them. Secondly I was going to build one bike, instead I'm building three, a new training bike (replacement for one that was totalled), a bike for the long flat stuff (awaiting frame - Spada U2 Monobox approx 13lbs) and one for the really hilly stuff (probably Storck C0.9 - sub 11lber Beast the way I'm going). Something like this chain I'll use on the C0.9 for the real hilly stuff with Zerolite Alloy cassettes, otherwise I'll be riding the Spada U2, fitted with the Ultra10 Campy chain and probably Tiso cassettes I already have. So as you go up in weight, the more normal are the parts fitted, for example the '04 training bike will be pretty much straight '03 Record that I already have, plus a few WW parts like a Ti BB (which has bigger bearings than a Record BB) and Ti/Al bolts as they are not likely to suffer the corrosion we get out here with the sea air and sand. Make sense?

I'll post some lists, but I was waiting on my frame choice for the Hilly WW bike, and some parts, for the U2 I have everything sitting in boxes but the frame, and I've been putting the weights down as I tune the parts where I can.
Ride lightly!

bobalou

by bobalou

Hey, Ye Old bald one, I suspect your training rig is on par with my WW rig! Anyway, if there's a measure of "weight weenieness" then I think it's all relative. Some other riders check out my ride and their eye's get big when they pick it up "woah!" It's 14.5 lbs but .. hey that's nothing compared to some real WW's. So I'm hesitant to bust any chops for "pursuit of the holy grail", go for it! But, check out wipperman's own website.. I think the weight savings have been exaggerated by some stores. Even wipperman reports the chain to be 246 grams for 110 links. It's not a 30 gram savings it's probably more like 15 grams over the new record chain (which I'm still waiting for on backorder, btw).

:arrow: http://www.connexchain.com/

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

bobalou wrote:Hey, Ye Old bald one, I suspect your training rig is on par with my WW rig! Anyway, if there's a measure of "weight weenieness" then I think it's all relative. Some other riders check out my ride and their eye's get big when they pick it up "woah!" It's 14.5 lbs but .. hey that's nothing compared to some real WW's. So I'm hesitant to bust any chops for "pursuit of the holy grail", go for it! But, check out wipperman's own website.. I think the weight savings have been exaggerated by some stores. Even wipperman reports the chain to be 246 grams for 110 links. It's not a 30 gram savings it's probably more like 15 grams over the new record chain (which I'm still waiting for on backorder, btw).

:arrow: http://www.connexchain.com/

On the Giant show bike they list 239gm (presume cut). I weighed an Ultra10 at 259gm (uncut). So it probably is about 15gm difference when I cut it. Call me crazy, but 15gm is 15gm and I'm looking for every gram I can find on this build.

BTW, my LBS has a few of them in stock already.
Ride lightly!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Ye Olde Balde One.......do they make CAT cranks still? I thought they quit making them a few years back? What is the website?
Also...I have done about 200 miles on my CAT's and they are great, seem pretty stiff and they weigh 406 grams with rings and bolts....the lightest!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

also.....what is this Zerolite cassette? weight? link?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

cyclemanpat wrote:Ye Olde Balde One.......do they make CAT cranks still? I thought they quit making them a few years back? What is the website?
Also...I have done about 200 miles on my CAT's and they are great, seem pretty stiff and they weigh 406 grams with rings and bolts....the lightest!

I came across the website while surfing, it said they were making a run of cranks from March and gave an address an instructions for getting on the waiting list, so I emailed them, I'll dig out the address and PM you.
Ride lightly!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

cyclemanpat wrote:also.....what is this Zerolite cassette? weight? link?

I got mine from Tri Zombies (TZguy@earthlink.net) ph (310) 318-5553 talk to Eric (resident WW there).

The sizes I got told were;
Shimano 10s: 11-25t, 11-27t
Campy 10s: 11-23t, 11-25t, 11-27t

All at $224.95 including lockring.

Campy 10s 11-23t weighs 110g incl Al lockring.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

So you got your bike done, you gonna post some pics for us dude?

jim

by jim

superlite, i always chuckle at the guys who list specs of their bikes, but can never find the time to post pics to share with the group. sometimes you have to wonder if it's fantasy or reality :D

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I tell ya Jim.......you buy me a digital camera and work my 2 jobs for me and ride 4 times a week for me................then I will find the time and post pictures!!! I am in the process of getting a list of all the weights and pics together..........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com