Lightweight vs. Reynolds Stratus DV UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

userdeleted

by userdeleted

I have an idea. Ok I've talked about this before but John Cobb, Lance's former aero guy, has tested lightweight's wheels in the windtunnel and says they are about the same as mavic cosmic elites, the 30mm deep aluminum training wheel, which is not much better than a normal 32 spoke wheel. Basically, that the lightweight wheel is not an aero wheel. He has also tested Reynolds Stratus DV UL wheels to be close to Zipp 404's - basically, very aero. The Stratus DV UL is 1130 grams, the stiffer (its very stiff) Stratus DV is 1240 grams (but the DV UL is stiff too), and lightweights are around 1200 grams. The hubs Reynolds uses are nice, White Industries. So This may be a radical idea, but could it be possible that the Reynolds Stratus DV UL is the ultimate wheel out right now for all-around purposes? It is supposed to be very stiff, with the slightly-heavier and cheaper Stratus DV even stiffer, and with the added advantage of supposedly being much more aero than lightweights, which is a big thing, and also being a bit lighter, is it possible that it is a better solution?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Princers6pe

by Princers6pe

You have been thinking along the same lines as me,

I have a set of lightweights, but also like the Stratus DV UL.

I am nw trying to limit the use of the lightweights to climbing and long rolling rides where aero is not such a big factor.

One of the reasons I was thinking of getting a pair is the braking
on the lightweights is a bit stop start, but have heard only good
reports on the Reynolds.

This really came out when I rode them in the Alps last year.
Be humble, cycle.

I was the Prince i am now The Carbon Kid.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

the other thing that is nice about the reynolds is that you don't have to use special brake pads with them. Whats funny is that if reynolds would ditch the White hubs which are pretty heavy for ones that are just slightly lighter the UL's would be probably the best ALL Around racing wheel. Super stiff (unless you're a huge sprinter) ridiculously light and aero. Just some thoughts.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Just another thought: I've spoken poorly about white hubs on this forum in the past and besides the fact that they're kinda heavy, most mechanics I know have told me that the white hubs are a pain to work on. The road pair of white hubs weigh 355 gm. For comparison, the hubs Zipp uses weigh 286 gm, and they're not gossamer light. Reynolds could still use a high quality hub, not sacrificing bearing quality or stiffness etc and easily drop 75gm.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I've got a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's (tubular) and a set of 2003 Zipp 404's (clinchers). I can say that the Reynolds are superior in every way over the Zipps. They are lighter, stiffer and seem to accelerate much faster and easier. They also climb better than the Zipps. With the 404's I have to open the rear brake to keep the rim from rubbing the brake pads while I climb. The Stratus on the other hand are rock solid. I used them in a windy road race a couple weeks ago and they were awesome. I did have some trouble with the crosswinds but that is to be expected but the 46mm rim wasn't too bad.

As for the White hubs, I like them. They may be heavier but they are smooth strong and reliable. Also, the weight is in the hubs instead of the rims so it doesn't matter as much. I also have LEW composite wheels with the same White LTA hubs. From what I understand, LEW used White hubs exclusively because they were the only hub with flanges strong enough to withstand the massive tension used in the wheel build. That tension is what helps give the Reynolds/LEW wheels there stiffness. The carbon rims used by Reynolds are also supposed to be the strongest rims made. I read somewhere that the Stratus rim alone can withstand 850 lbs. Also, White Ind is an excellent company to deal with if you ever have a problem with their product. They stand behind their products 100% and will do whatever it takes to make it right even if the problem was caused by the consumer like mine was on my LEW front wheel.

I can attest to their strength since I weigh 210 lbs and I have pounded these wheels while riding out of the saddle. They actually give a stiffer ride than my Ksyrium SLs if that tells you anything! Especially with the tires inflated to 140 psi.

In my opinion these are the ultimate carbon wheel especially for the money. I paid a little over $750 for mine brand new on ebay! What a steal :lol:

userdeleted

by userdeleted

So basically everyone so far is in agreeance. The only thing I could think of possibly against the reynolds is that some people say the lightweights are bombproof, like cobbleproof. Well my opinion on that is that reynolds are supposed to be strong as it is, and theres no way you'd ride either wheelset on cobbles, so maybe it could be said that the reynolds are the ultimate normal-racing wheel.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I have a race in 3 weeks that will be on cobbles and there is no way in hell that I will use my Reynolds wheels. That's why I have the Ksyriums. 8)

spytech

by spytech

the question i would like answered is who has better lateral stiffness, lightweight or RC stratos wheels :?:

and are the kom ul or stratos ul as stiff or stiffer than a mavic wheel?

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

spytech, you need to clarify that question by stating which Mavic wheel, otherwise you're going to get subjective answers.

spytech

by spytech

520 Dan wrote:spytech, you need to clarify that question by stating which Mavic wheel, otherwise you're going to get subjective answers.

opps i was talking about mavic ksyrium sl.

Superlite

by Superlite

I know it's off topic, but I love those wheels! They look and ride pimp! If only they were lighter, then I would be cruising them! :lol: Heavy pieces of junk. :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

i want to know the stiffness numbers on all the reynolds composite wheels