HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Titanium V's Carbon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:28 pm 

While Cadence asks about Ti frames I am interested in comparing the stiffness and quality of the two materials.

I know lots of people dream of Ti, but how does it compare in ride to Carbon?

Stiffness,
Vibration dampening,
Durability,
Cost.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Post subject: Titanium V's Carbon
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:28 pm 

Post subject: Dosn't matter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:08 pm 

The tube's shape, butting profile, length, ply count, ply oriientation, material quaility, joining technique and joint design play a far greater role in bicycles than material.

This wont stop other from answering though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:38 pm 

I'm with Cyco on build design is most important

Up until now Ti was the top of the line as it allowed the best "custom" builds where you could choose the qualities of the bike and a good builder made it happen. You got durability and a frame which will last forever (and is repairable!)

Now you can get custom Carbon! I assume they will be able to offer the same customization. As to durability and repairability - don't think it's proven yet. Some lugged carbon frame allow for replacement of tubes, stays etc.

I have two Ti bikes and love them. Was getting a carbon but had issues getting it so had to compromise for now and got an alloy. A light carbon for climbing is next for me. (Kuota Kredo or Khan or a Orbea Orca probably)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:25 pm 

nzkiwiguy wrote:
I'm with Cyco on build design is most important

Up until now Ti was the top of the line as it allowed the best "custom" builds where you could choose the qualities of the bike and a good builder made it happen. You got durability and a frame which will last forever (and is repairable!)

Now you can get custom Carbon! I assume they will be able to offer the same customization. As to durability and repairability - don't think it's proven yet. Some lugged carbon frame allow for replacement of tubes, stays etc.

I have two Ti bikes and love them. Was getting a carbon but had issues getting it so had to compromise for now and got an alloy. A light carbon for climbing is next for me. (Kuota Kredo or Khan or a Orbea Orca probably)

I'll agree with that. I thought a lot about carbon, and this forum is a jewel for info esp. on carbon frames. The Giants, Kuota, Scotts I see are so seductive....
But I think Cyco and nz are right: design and build quality is critical.
Also, at least for me, carbon might be an option if I were looking for a specific-event bike, but for general everyday use I don't see the investment value, at least on my budget. I think with the good Ti builders, you have assurance on material quality, tubing selection, welds, warranty, durability, and most important some good experience, not just the builder but with the material itself. With carbon, there are "changes" every week it seems on lay-up theory, directionality, etc. For a team bike, great, but for me, everyday, I don't know....
In terms of Bruiser's specific questions, from what I've learned so far:
1) ti can be as stiff as carbon.
2) the vibration damping might be a bit better on an all-carbon frame (but I'm not sure on lugged designs, the lug design and bond will be critical there.
3) durability = ti
4) cost: I'm not sure yet, a good ti frame can run from +/- $1300 - $2000- $3300, so a very wide range....