Upgrade frame or components?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tom2517

by tom2517

Hi all, I have about $2500 to spend on a Cannondale CAAD4 with 98 campy record. But I couldn't decide whether I should upgrade the frame or upgrade the components...

What would you guys do?

tom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

Maybe.. both! Nowadays you can get some pretty light bikes for around $2500. That CAAD4 frame is fairly light, you can get some sweet wheels and groupset for that $2500. For my money.. frame first, wheels next then groupset.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

bobalou wrote:Maybe.. both! Nowadays you can get some pretty light bikes for around $2500. That CAAD4 frame is fairly light, you can get some sweet wheels and groupset for that $2500. For my money.. frame first, wheels next then groupset.

One way to look at it is dollars/grams. Where can you save the most weight with the least amount of dollars.

And one question would be how much does your frame weigh?

I would agree with the other poster, frame, wheels, components. However, if your frame is light, and you are happy with it, go to the wheels and then some components.

Another way to tackle this project would be to list out your current build and then pick apart what components are weighing you down the most and just upgrading those.

jeremyb

Superlite

by Superlite

Keep saving for a little while longer then buy new everything.

norcal

by norcal

I have a Cad5 which has a weight listed on this site as 1408gr. which is a touch over 3 lbs. I've done a lot of thinking about this as I was looking for a frame Sub 2.5 that was a little more compliant. (I ultimately have come to terms with my Cannondale.)
I think that the first question you have to ask yourself is what style of rider are you. Are you a masher, a spinner, a sprinter?. Do you prefer hills, or rollers/flats. Would you be looking for a more stable decent- less twitchy ride than a Cannondale?
Then, big question is what do you weigh? Are you 175+?
I think a Cannondale is great if you are a sprinter or a masher, or both, and or if you weigh in the 170+ arena. The bikes are stiff, super strong, super for Crits, and reasonably comfortable, especially if you weigh enough to where they'll give alittle. Great bike.
If you love your frame, and want to lighten the load, I believe Cannondale has a loyalty program of some sort. Upgrade to a Cad 7 with optimo tubing, hollowgram cranks and full carbon fork. You should be able to do that for about $1500.
If the Cannondale isn't all that you have dreamed of, identify the areas the frame isn't preforming for you, and look for designs that might rectify those problem areas. Be sure to compare geometry. The Cannondale head and seat tubes sit around 74 degrees, whereas most traditional frames have Head and seat tube angles of around 73-73.5 degrees. Also compact geometry, dramatically changes the feel of a ride.
Unfortunately taking a bike for a 5-10min test ride doesn't tell you that much. So you have to do your research, and the answers aren't all that obvious.
If you haven't got some light wheels already, buy a pair of ksyrium sl's
(for durability) or American Classic 420's.
If i could only be riding now

tom2517

by tom2517

thank you guys for the response, i just came back from a LBS and they have 04 CAAD7 frame on sale for about 900 bucks, so i can upgrade the frame and a pair of wheels. but then they also have a six13, happens to be my size, looks nice, it's going for 2999 with campy centaur parts.

the LBS said i could get the six13 and just use my record if i want. going to ride the six13 tomorrow (cuz i went in with pants and don't want to get nasty tatoos) and see if i like it.

by the way, so far the six13 only comes as complete bike.

Superlite

by Superlite

don't get a six13 they blow! $900 for a CAAD 7 isn't bad, get that, it's only 50g heavier then the six13.

Notice how almost no tour riders use that frame?

saletel

by saletel

happy caad 7 / optimo frame owner here.....

i really dont think the 613 with centaur is going to make you as happy as the caad7 frame built up how you like it.

norcal

by norcal

Superlight,
I haven't been able to tell what frames Saeco riders are using, (Fasso Bortolo riders seem to hogging up all the camera lenses.) What are your objections to the sixthirteen? Lack of stiffness? Certainly at 135lbs your Cad 7 has got to be stiff as hell for you. (Sorry, you're a prolific writer, we all know your details.)
Or is it that they Jacked the price on the next generation ride? Just interested in the reasoning behind "It blows." Lacks detail.
If i could only be riding now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

Wheels, biggest bang for the buck, both in weight and performance. I've never noticed anything to big as to switch to Zip 303 Tub. Every hill every acceleration is a reward