Advice: Titanium Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Pyf, Thats one very sweet ride! :thumbup:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

pyf wrote:I didn't want to be so rude... but if it's not me who said it :wink: I can say that I COMPLETELY AGREE :beerchug:

I wasn't implying you :)
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

pyf - Can you point me to the Tune website. Where are Tune products available in the U.S.? Thanks.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

nikh

by nikh

Scapin/Dean wrote:pyf - Can you point me to the Tune website. Where are Tune products available in the U.S.? Thanks.

Not available in the US. You can however buy their products from Europe.

Tune website is on the links page of this website.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

cadence90

by cadence90

1. Mon dieu, pyf, that frame is beautiful! Excellent job! And I think it looks even better with your '03 DA, more elegant, if that's possible.

2. I agree that Dean does not do Moots welds. Moots does Moots welds.

3. The finish on the Moots is unbelievable, and beautiful. This is not a matter of an extra 1/2 hour of "polishing" the welds, which they don't do. And there are several different ways to finish ti. The combination bead blast/brush is what Moots is known for, and has perfected.

4. The dropouts are not "developed by Dean". They are indeed Paragon or Arctos Machine "Breezer" style dropouts, developed, believe it not, by the Wright Brothers themselves, talk about "back in the day"!.

5. Scapin/Dean, no offence, I'm sure your Dean is excellent, and I'm glad you finally received it. But from what you and others have written about their customer service, Jim Kish is light years beyond. He has been absolutely super in correspondence. I will meet him next week, and when he says 4 weeks from order to delivery, I believe him. When he writes about the welds, tube selection, why he makes certain choices, I trust him implicitly. I do not think this is salesmanship, it's passion and professionalism. The proof will of course be in the work. I trust that too.

6. Again: pyf, that frame is beautiful! :) C'est superbe: please post more photos when you finish your build, merci beaucoup....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

cadence90

by cadence90

Here are two photos of Kish welds/finish.
Attachments
kish_00.jpg
kish_01.jpg
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

pyf

by pyf

Scapin/Dean wrote:pyf - Can you point me to the Tune website. Where are Tune products available in the U.S.? Thanks.

www.tune.de

not easy to fond in the US, please check www.starbike.com I'm sure they could help you !!! or if you want contact me, our website is www.efikce.com but in french, so I guess for you starbike.com is better :wink:

pyf

by pyf

cadence90 wrote:1. Mon dieu, pyf, that frame is beautiful! Excellent job! And I think it looks even better with your '03 DA, more elegant, if that's possible.

2. I agree that Dean does not do Moots welds. Moots does Moots welds.

3. The finish on the Moots is unbelievable, and beautiful. This is not a matter of an extra 1/2 hour of "polishing" the welds, which they don't do. And there are several different ways to finish ti. The combination bead blast/brush is what Moots is known for, and has perfected.

4. The dropouts are not "developed by Dean". They are indeed Paragon or Arctos Machine "Breezer" style dropouts, developed, believe it not, by the Wright Brothers themselves, talk about "back in the day"!.

5. Scapin/Dean, no offence, I'm sure your Dean is excellent, and I'm glad you finally received it. But from what you and others have written about their customer service, Jim Kish is light years beyond. He has been absolutely super in correspondence. I will meet him next week, and when he says 4 weeks from order to delivery, I believe him. When he writes about the welds, tube selection, why he makes certain choices, I trust him implicitly. I do not think this is salesmanship, it's passion and professionalism. The proof will of course be in the work. I trust that too.

6. Again: pyf, that frame is beautiful! :) C'est superbe: please post more photos when you finish your build, merci beaucoup....

1. Thank you. Cranks : That why I remove the DA 2004 to use my 2003, I felt the 2004 too big.

5. I will also meet Jim Kish soon (in June)... those pictures look nice, do you have more of them ???

6. Again Thank you :wink: . I will post more soon, I guess all will be finished within 2 weeks... can you wait so much to see the final version ? :?: :D

cadence90

by cadence90

pyf wrote:[snip]
6. Again Thank you :wink: . I will post more soon, I guess all will be finished within 2 weeks... can you wait so much to see the final version ? :?: :D

If we have to, we have to.... Maybe by then I will have photos of a Kish-in-progress. :wink:

eddd

by eddd

There is a Litespeed Ultimate for sale at Roadbikereview, here is the direct link:

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/c ... =retrieval

cadence90

by cadence90

The guy who made pyf's beautiful Moots. 8)
Nice to have a face behind the work (and I'm sure many lucky others!).
Brad the man behind the flawless welds with the legendary Kent Erikssen.
http://www.mtbreview.com/spotlight/moots/

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

e-mailed Moots. Jon replied and stated that they bead blast their frames. But do no other smoothing or polishing of their welds. So Brad is da' man. And very talented.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

cadence90

by cadence90

Titus welds. (Not my bike.)
Not so beautiful IMO, certainly not compared to Moots.
The seat tube cluster is a shame. :cry:

pyf

by pyf

Titus welds. (Not my bike.)
Not so beautiful IMO, certainly not compared to Moots.
The seat tube cluster is a shame.

Sounds like I will keep my moots... because there is nothing to compare between moots welds and those pictures... :roll:

I've just ordered a moots mountain bike frame. I love so much my road moots that I wanted the mountain bike liitle brother :wink:

It seems that pictures of the final version of the compact will be posted next week, I've already changed seatpost and skewers, and am supposed to receive my cranks at the end of next week :D

benz76

by benz76

The only thing that comes close to Moots weldings were Merlin's early 90s weldings...
I think Merlins were welded by FTW (Frank The Welder), one by one...

Notice that welding refinement has nothing to do with welding quality and by consequence with frame's quality. Generally speaking, the more you work around a welded joint, the more you weaken it...

Notice that I'm NOT meaning anything on Moots' frame: this is an overall consideration...

Bye, Benz.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com