Rapha arenberg sunglasses vs oakley jawbreaker

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Anyone use any of these?
They are both around similar price in sale.....
I know there quite a few who dislike Rapha but their customer service is pretty damn good, instant response if their Chat is live, can't say that for most of our cycling brands. prices are high end when at full retail price but I'm getting at sale price.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I didn't have a chance to see Rapha spectacles in flesh, but they seem to be quite delicate compared to Jawbreakers especially around the hinge area.

PS.
Personally I like Jawbreakers to the extednd that I have just got myself third pair of them with Prizm Ruby, the other two are with Prizm Road.
Last edited by 1415chris on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Boshk wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 am
Anyone use any of these?
They are both around similar price in sale.....
I know there quite a few who dislike Rapha but their customer service is pretty damn good, instant response if their Chat is live, can't say that for most of our cycling brands. prices are high end when at full retail price but I'm getting at sale price.
Dont know about Rapha, but im using Oakley Jawbreaker with Prism Road lenses.. And i can say that those are best glassess i ever had...

Why i like them? Comfortable and very nice view, and i like Prizm Road lenses since i can use them on very sunny day, and also when there is clouds and not so bright sunshine.. So perfect for almost any weather.. Also dont fog on climbs.. Another positive is that they are working perfectly with my helmet (Giro Synthe), without any interference. Also i can put them in Synthe glassess holes when i want to ride without glassess

And bonus is that there is still no any scracthes on the lens, even i have them for 18 months... So can i just recommend them...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Prizm lenses are great, and I own some. I have heard that Rapha uses Carl Zeiss lenses...........if this is indeed the case, then Rapha without question. I have Koo glasses with Zeiss lens and they are superior optically in every way to the Oakley.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Broady

by Broady

Yeah, the Zeiss lenses on the Rapha are great. Prizm Road is great too. I'd choose based on your aesthetic preference.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

I have the flyweight, not the Arenberg, and they are great - light, comfortable, great fit, and the lenses are high quality. Once they are on I don't even notice them. Fit is personal though. I used to buy oakley's, but they didn't fit my head as well (often the arms were too tight, they would get uncomfortable after a while, constantly adjusting).

And while I was wondering how robust the lense changing mechanism would be (I have broken several of the smith pivloks), I have swapped between 3 sets of lenses for the past year and it still works great. My experience with Rapha customer service is that is really is incredible - fast shipping, no questions asked returns (for example if the fit or style isn't quite what you wanted), and responsive, helpful support.

Edit: ok I admit I sound like a shill, but as a middle aged male with disposable income, I admit I have becomed hooked on service and don't mind paying extra for it

northwestern

by northwestern

I'd say go with the jawbreakers. I have a pair of oakley with prizm ( not for cycling) and they are indeed the best lenses I've had. Plus, the on the jawbreakers you can replace the lens more easily.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Assos Zegho FTW!! Zeiss optics and frame-less for perfect viewing.

rmr40

by rmr40

I tied the pro team flyweight glasses - nice but the arms interfered with the helmet tension straps, so Went back to Jawbreakers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Just took delivery of a pair of SunGod pacebreakers. First ride out this morning and a great replacement for my ageing Oakleys. Weight 30g

Custom build with non-Polaroid lens £60.

Wookski

by Wookski

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 pm
Assos Zegho FTW!! Zeiss optics and frame-less for perfect viewing.
Yes- Zegho’s are so rad!

jaypee

by jaypee

rmr40 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 pm
I tied the pro team flyweight glasses - nice but the arms interfered with the helmet tension straps, so Went back to Jawbreakers..

exactly the same; rapha arms way too long. Thought I'd hate the jawbreakers but love them, fit is great and the prizm lens is hard to beat

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com