Stages vs Quarq - is it worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hey WW,
Im in the market for the power meter finally.
Looking into getting some proper coaching/training. I have a 6800 crankset.

I would like to get a quarq carbon dzero but not sure if I can justify the price of $1550 plus $200 in rings and $60 in a BB totalling $1810 when a stages PM is only $900 for Dura-ace 9100.
I understand stages is single sided but my leg split will be the same each day will it not? Like even if it's 40-60 at recovery pace at 50-50 in the Vo2 zone this will stay the same right?

What is the temperature calibration like on the stages?

Please help me on the pros vs cons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Have both. Couldn't care less about the single sided power thing. For what I do, which is mostly intervals that aren't under 1 minute, its acedemic.
Both systems have people that have reported failures, and both have had users with robust units.
Used quarq's go on ebay for under 400 usd often. Shoot, there was a used sram p2max on paceline for under that recently. No reason to pay over $500 for any powermeter, unless you insist on brand new.
I have a used stages hollowgram, 2 used Quarq elsa's, and a used sram stages, and they're all fine.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I wouldn't worry about double sided. There's very little value in that number. I'd get the 4iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii over the Stages though. I'd also go used crank based over new arm based.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Power2Max spiders fit quite a few cranks and are super price competitive. I sold mine with my Cervelo P3 and was very happy with it.

I went Vector3 due to a garmin friend hookup.

My stages was rock solid with my edge 810 but very flaky with my 820. Fenix 3HR is dropouts nonstop.

JScycle

by JScycle

P90Puma wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 am
Power2Max spiders fit quite a few cranks and are super price competitive. I sold mine with my Cervelo P3 and was very happy with it.

I went Vector3 due to a garmin friend hookup.

My stages was rock solid with my edge 810 but very flaky with my 820. Fenix 3HR is dropouts nonstop.
From my research the power 2 max is a similar price to a quarq because I would need to buy cranks.
Did you find the values of your stages were consistent all the time?
jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 am
I wouldn't worry about double sided. There's very little value in that number. I'd get the 4iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii over the Stages though. I'd also go used crank based over new arm based.
What makes you say 4iii is better than stages? Used crank based as in their precision pro unit?
TonyM wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:48 am
Stages dual sided L/R??

https://store.stagescycling.com/Stages- ... ower-meter
I wouldn't get the dual sided as I may as well get a quarq at that price.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

JScycle wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:27 am
Did you find the values of your stages were consistent all the time?
Based on my L/R readings of my Vector3's and the power output of my elite direto, yes.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

4iiiiiiiii seems to be more consistent and higher quality in terms of water sealing. Crank based meters have a better view of overall power and can bullshit L/R balance. Crank based meters, particularly P2M, seems to be more reliable.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You might think I'm crazy but if you aren't sure just get a cheap chinese xcadey left side power meter online for your ultegra crank.

It will let you get into general pacing. I'm even going to race mine soon but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else but amateurs. The support is nil but growing. The reliability appears to be better than even stages. It has an app and can be firmware upgraded. No manual calibration apart from the garmin itself.

Comparisons have shown that the accuracy is fine. Check out youtube.

/a

shotgun

by shotgun

Depends on how granular and accurate you'd like it to be, and how serious you are with training. I've relagated myself to a single side, since I just need to have better context to my training and output.

In the end, Stages (or 4iiii) ads 25g to the build. Since this is WW it'll trump the rest ;)
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

JScycle

by JScycle

shotgun wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 am
Depends on how granular and accurate you'd like it to be, and how serious you are with training. I've relagated myself to a single side, since I just need to have better context to my training and output.

In the end, Stages (or 4iiii) ads 25g to the build. Since this is WW it'll trump the rest ;)
I would like it to be accurate but importantly reliable.
I want this power meter to last AT LEAST 5 years hopefully many more.
I liked the idea of the quarq because I heard their temperature compensation was good and I knew they were accurate as they measure both legs.
However I asked a friend for advice today and he suggested a stages.
I don't know if I can justify the price difference in the quarq

shotgun

by shotgun

I live in a tropical country, where the temp of my rides range from 35-17deg celcius in a single ride. Data generally seems reliable, except for some spikes (1.5 watts for a split second) that i see every 2 to 3 rides. I doesn't bother me since it's cleaned out via WKO. If you're planning to compare data with other people, I suggest to get something more accurate.

I've been using Stages ver 2 for 2 years. 2 bikes have them. Prior to that I was on a Vector S and S2, and a Powertab Hub. Amongst the ones I've had, Stages was the most reliable and least finicky in setup and use.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Let me just throw this here. How about the pioneer single or dual sided ultegra crankset? You can swap it out and go. 6800 single sided PM goes for $559, the dual sided costs $999. I've been a happy user for years now. I own two units and they have been great and put them through hell.

If you want extra metrics, you can buy their headunit, but you can use them with your current garmin.

TonyM

by TonyM

You need the Pioneer head unit also for the updates.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 am
You need the Pioneer head unit also for the updates.
Yep. that's true. Sorry, I always forget about it. Actually I haven't updated my PM in a year now... probably it would be a good idea to do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com