Tarmac S-works SL6 BB question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cassard

by cassard

Hi,

I'm building a new Sagan Superstar SL6 bike and I have a quick question. Our customer would like to change the stock bearings ang BB which is a BB30 to a Praxis Ceramic Threaded BB, so he can install a Shimano Dura-ace Crank.

I know we could do this with the older frameset to prevent the creaking problem, but My head mechanic told me that since it's a new BB shell that Specialized made, you either couldn't do it yet, either you cannot at all. Then Specialized told me that you can and you need to call praxis to be sure to get the good model.

I have with me a Praxis BB that the customer bought, but I want to be sure that it's the right one. From What I see I just need to take out the bearings, snap ring and plastic sleeve inside the frame and install the BB....

So before touching all of this, does anybody have an answer on this ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Here's a link the PDF guide for bottom bracket converters from Praxis....

Assuming your customer provided you with the Praxis OSBB converter... the part numbers are either 68-3002 or 68-5002. Based on the document, you either need the delrin sleeve or you don't.

cassard

by cassard

I found my answer ! I was just a bit anxious since the bike is a new 2018 model and I was worried praxis wasn't up to date for this particular model. It was effectively the 68-5001 bottom bracket (same as the 5002 but with ceramic bearings).

Everything has been install perfectly.

Thanks !

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

cassard wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 am
I found my answer ! I was just a bit anxious since the bike is a new 2018 model and I was worried praxis wasn't up to date for this particular model. It was effectively the 68-5001 bottom bracket (same as the 5002 but with ceramic bearings).

Everything has been install perfectly.

Thanks !
actually, 5001 and 5002 are exactly the same, they just come with different pieces for the mounting. For your purposes, though, I don't think you need any of those accessory pieces and the bearing parts are the same. Glad it worked.

Siok

by Siok

I could be wrong but I think the 2018 model fits praxis BB 5001 and not 5002. Diameter of the BB has gone smaller. Any ideas? Thinking of converting mine. Cheers.

cerro

by cerro

5001 yes, Tarmac SL6 got a regular BB30 standard. 42x68mm hole like Cannondale once developed it. the smaller 61,5mm OSBB is gone since the SL4.

Siok

by Siok

Thanks cerro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Man I know this is an old thread, but I would have just used delrin adapters with the original CeramicSpeed bearings until they wore out...or does the S-Works SL6 come with steel bearings?

Siok

by Siok

Thanks TobinHatesYou... great suggestion as a possible option....the bearings are CeramicSpeed so abit of a shame to dish them. So am looking at possible adaptors as the other possible option. Brands like Enduro.... Wheels Manufacturing....many options out there. Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trikobe

by trikobe

So is it possibe to use a cannondale sisl crankset on the new tarmac, being its a standard bb30 now?