Problem with S-Works 7 shoes: toes going numb

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

novemberhotel

by novemberhotel

Hi all,

Has any of you experienced numbness with the SW7? I have the wide versions of SW7 and SW6 and my toes are going numb when wearing the SW7. Sometimes it takes a while, but sometimes it's almost right away.

One thing I noticed is that I can't get the cleats forward enough. This could be the cause of the issue I'm having but I'm not sure. In any case, while SW7 delivers more comfort in the toe box, I have to go back to SW6, which are not super comfortable.

What other wide shoes do you all think I should try out next?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cassard

by cassard

first is why do you want them foward ? how do you fit them ?

As for the toe box, the SW6 have a bigger toe box than the SW7. I ride SW6 Wide and they are very confortable.

novemberhotel

by novemberhotel

I need them a bit more forward because that's my SW6's are set. I took the shoes to my LBS (who set up my SW6) and the mechanic said he would like the cleats a bit more forward on the SW7. Also, I have tried running the default Specialized insoles, and Giro's insoles (both small and XL) arches to no avail. On the SW6 I'm running the default insoles.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it cold where you live?

How many years have you used your sw6?

Is it possible you simply haven't let them be worn in yet and ride in low temperature at the same tension as your old ones and expect them to be perfect right away?

What about swapping insoles?

When I first started riding I liked to have my cleats fully forward as it gives a feeling of leverage. Problem is a rider doesn't need much because we have gears. Efficient spinning trumps leverage except at sprinting maybe. When you start to train with power you should notice that you can put out power (not torque) better (easier and slightly higher cadence with foot muscles a bit more relaxed) when the cleat is a little bit further back than where you started out.

/a

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:37 am
What about swapping insoles?

When you start to train with power you should notice that you can put out power (not torque) better (easier and slightly higher cadence with foot muscles a bit more relaxed) when the cleat is a little bit further back than where you started out.
/a
I had the same idea, what about trying the SW6 insoles (which seem to agree with you) in the SW7, as an easy, inexpensive, experiment. Specialized may have changed the default stock insoles from one model to the other.

Moving cleats back is commonly reccomended for foot pain and numbness, so not being able to go more forward doesn't raise any red flags right of the bat for me. If you desire the shoes to be set up identically so you can use them interchangably, then I would suggest moving the SW6 cleats back to match your SW7 setting...except that with this numbness situation you don't want to mess up the one pair that are working OK, so it's best to leave them alone for now.

Have you tried riding with no tension at all on the Boa closures? On a form fitting shoe, unless you are sprinting, the closures don't do much, and this would help you to get an idea of if it is compression of the foot at the sole/sides of the shoe that is causing you problems, or if it is pressure on the top of the foot from the closure design.

DJT21

by DJT21

If the cleats are further back on the new shoes, then you'll probably need to lower your saddle a bit to compensate.

novemberhotel

by novemberhotel

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try moving the cleats more rear on the sole to see if the numbness goes away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com