What crankset to get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Hello my fellow weight weenies :)
I am currently running an ultegra 6800 110mm crankset with 52-36 chainrings and I am looking for a new crankset with the following perks:

-will definitely run Qxl rings in 52-36 option so the new crankset must be compatible with that.

-I am looking for a possible reduction of around 100 grams from my previous set up (this means that cranks+Qxl's must be lighter than ultegra cranks+regular
chainrings).

-looking for the cheapest option available since I am on a strict budget, unfortunately ( cheap is relative offcourse, the crankset must be good enough for high
level racing).

So, what are my options? (tried searching myself but failed, because guess who is a monkey and can't use the internets :lol: )

Marin

by Marin

Used hidden-bolt Red, still the lightest option available and unchanged for 3 generations of Red (10s/11s/Etap) - for good reasons.

Sand off the graphics if you need to

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Marin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm
Used hidden-bolt Red, still the lightest option available and unchanged for 3 generations of Red (10s/11s/Etap) - for good reasons.

Sand off the graphics if you need to
Like that idea since I am riding sram red etap already,but when you say unchanged for 3 generations of Red (10s/11s/Etap), is it surely the same? or are there any changes in space between the rings and stuff like that that might cause me problems with etap?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The newer black paint scheme I hear is heavier than the old grey sram red exogram cranks. We're talking maybe 10-20gr here.

The qxl chainrings aren't light. Pity there aren't qxl like there are q-rings with more machining.

/a

seaneT1

by seaneT1

ok, so I won't probably shave off the desired weight, but ok, I am still within reach of my final bike weight goal so nevermind! now, I only need to know if any sram red crankset is good with etap or if I'll need a newer one...if not, perfect! also what is the deal with gxp and bb30? it confuses the hell out of me tbh!

themidge

by themidge

If you're running etap already, presumably you have the exogram cranks mentioned above?
What with them being normal 5-arm cranks, you should be able to put q-rings straight on nae bother.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

themidge wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:46 pm
If you're running etap already, presumably you have the exogram cranks mentioned above?
What with them being normal 5-arm cranks, you should be able to put q-rings straight on nae bother.
etap shifting I mean, crankset curently is an ultegra, as I wrote above!

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Ok, asked around and found out that there wont be a shifting problem with any sram crankset beyond 2012....So are there any other cranksets worth considering? rotor 3d+ maybe? any other brands out there worth looking? :)

Marin

by Marin

Only Clavicula is lighter than Sram RED IIRc. But then you have to be ok with the looks & the price.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Will have that in mind! so what about anything similar in weight or a little heavier than sram red? :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you are upgrading to a power meter and would consider a crank based one then now is probably the time to accomodate that aswell.

Sram red exograms are light but come with not so light/accurate power meter options. Exogram supports pedal based and left arm based meters.

Rotor cranks like non exogram red usually supports the more popular spider based pwm's.

Also not all pwm's play well with qxl rings.

If you don't plan on getting a crank based pwm then I say go sram red exogram. Bb30 is lighter but often unsupported. Your frame needs to be bb30/pf30. It's a short axle with larger diameter. New frames are wider so bb30 cranks are becoming obsolete. Felt/Specialized/S-works/Pinarello can still be had in bb30. You get around a 100gr weight reduction compared to other standards when you factor in bottom bracket and crank weight.

/a

seaneT1

by seaneT1

thank you, but I already have a powermeter, pedal based favero assioma

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

2016 Diverge Expert

wingguy

by wingguy

seaneT1 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 pm
So are there any other cranksets worth considering? rotor 3d+ maybe? any other brands out there worth looking? :)
I just put on the new Rotor Aldhu with Q-spidering. The rings are 12.5% oval vs QXL's 16% so it's a halfway step from original Q, but it's much lighter than standard 3D+ cranks and the rings are extremely stiff. So far the front shifting has been perfect and they run silent.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

wingguy wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I just put on the new Rotor Aldhu with Q-spidering. The rings are 12.5% oval vs QXL's 16% so it's a halfway step from original Q, but it's much lighter than standard 3D+ cranks and the rings are extremely stiff. So far the front shifting has been perfect and they run silent.
I am looking at it as well, it peaked my interest! also I am not going to use qxl eventually, I thought the bike I had borrowed for a race had qxl's on but it had plain qrings, so plain qrings is the way I'll go, or the one's on aldhu if I get that, which also seem really nice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com