Having a rough week (C60 crack)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I am certainly not having the best week with bike related issues. I had already posted about a leaky DA 9120 hydro STI lever that is looking like a warranty item. Then I found this crack at the brake cable exit on my C60! Aargh.

Frame was bought from Wrenchscience in late 2014. It actually has quite low hours on it, for a variety of reasons (health-related, PNW weather-related, etc). The warranty period is 3 years so I am outside that time frame, but WS is reaching out to Colnago for me. I hope there is a solution otherwise I will be looking to have it repaired locally.

:cry:
Attachments
Colnago_crack.jpg

dfischer1

by dfischer1

Doesn't look that structural, and since you don't ride it that much, just glue it back together and it'll be fine. That's how the rest of the frame is built anyway...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Where is the crack? don't see it

Edit: ok now I see it!
Last edited by TonyM on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ringo

by Ringo

That doesn’t look good.
From what I’ve heard Colnago’s after sales support isn’t good.
I’m starting to have second thoughts for my purchase of c60..
XXTi
C60

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, that’s not structural, but it sure is disheartening. There’s a thick layer of paint around the cable guide insert. That insert has come loose and hence the paint has cracked. Unfortunately, to get a cosmetically good repair will likely cost some coin, which doubly sucks because it’s so minor. Or you could just take a really fine toothpick or something and get some kind of adhesive in the crack, clamp it tight then once cured, try to cover the crack with modeling paint as best you can. But without sanding and all that it can just make it look worse. If you press in on the insert, does that close up the crack somewhat?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Calnago wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:16 pm
Yeah, that’s not structural, but it sure is disheartening. There’s a thick layer of paint around the cable guide insert. That insert has come loose and hence the paint has cracked. Unfortunately, to get a cosmetically good repair will likely cost some coin, which doubly sucks because it’s so minor. Or you could just take a really fine toothpick or something and get some kind of adhesive in the crack, clamp it tight then once cured, try to cover the crack with modeling paint as best you can. But without sanding and all that it can just make it look worse. If you press in on the insert, does that close up the crack somewhat?
Yes, pressing on it does close it and if I keep heavy thumb pressure on it I can keep it from opening when the brake is applied. I will await the response from Wrenchscience but I'm not super hopeful. I too have heard Colnago horror stories. And it is very disheartening, this bike has less than 5000 km on it and has been babied the entire time. If I do have to get it repaired myself I will spend the money to do so properly.

All I can say about Colnago, based on my experiece of owning both an Extreme Power and a C60: they are beautiful to look at, and have good riding geometry but they are not without their little issues. Kind of like Italian sports cars I guess. My EP had issues with the front derailleur hanger alignment and was sent back before I built it. This C60 had a slightly oversized steerer (28.9 for a nominal 28.6). I had problems gettting the slotted bearing compression ring to insert completely into the bearing, so much that the first one broke (the Arcos rings are plastic). I ended up using fine grit sandpaper to sand down the fork to 28.6 mm. Also the crown race did not sit well on the fork due to some paint uneveness, again sanding this slightly to make it right. Later versions went with an integrated carbon race on the fork.
Last edited by Bigger Gear on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Sorry for the damage. That sucks. Three year warranty though? Holy crap that’s weak. Specially on a high dollar item like that. I’d skip Colnago. Get it fixed and ditch it on eBay.

TonyM

by TonyM

MyM3Coupe wrote:Sorry for the damage. That sucks. Three year warranty though? Holy crap that’s weak. Specially on a high dollar item like that. I’d skip Colnago. Get it fixed and ditch it on eBay.
That’s a good one!!
I am buying it at 50% discount! Send me ebay link....LOL

It is not structural.
Ok not nice when you pay so much but completely normal if I take my own experience with Italian goods (Colnago, Ducati, Vespa, Ferrari,...).

I would use some glue and touch paint and basta!

Kumppa

by Kumppa

To be honest 4000€+ frame, well known, respected maker and 3 year warrantly is pretty ridiculous. Thats sound like they just want take money and not care about happy customers after years of riding quality and well made bike. That warrantly is just one big no no to me get brand new.
Last edited by Kumppa on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

Meh, we used to be dealers (back in the C40 days and before) and the importer wouldn't even accept frames or bikes that were wrong out of the box back. Not without legal threats and quoting various bits of contract law. As they knew they'd have even more problems getting anything back from Italy other than a shrug.

Then the boss switched to Bianchi for our high end road brand.

Amazingly, they were worse.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 pm
Sorry for the damage. That sucks. Three year warranty though? Holy crap that’s weak. Specially on a high dollar item like that. I’d skip Colnago. Get it fixed and ditch it on eBay.
Do you think making purchase decisions based on the length of warranty is reasonable? In some European countries, Korean car manufacturer Hyundai offers 7 year warranty. Compare that to BMW who give 2 or 3 years while being three times more expensive. People are still buying BMWs.

Sorry for off topic, couldn't resist.

TLN

by TLN

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 pm
Do you think making purchase decisions based on the length of warranty is reasonable? In some European countries, Korean car manufacturer Hyundai offers 7 year warranty. Compare that to BMW who give 2 or 3 years while being three times more expensive. People are still buying BMWs.
AFAIK BMW is doing 6yr 100k warranty for CPO cars.
Means I can get CPO after lease 3series for Elantra money and still have 3-4 years of warranty left.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

[/quote]
Sorry for off topic, couldn't resist.
[/quote]
A $60k car is comparing guns to grenades. My point is a $5,000 bike frame should have a long warranty. I have two Time frames (less than $5000 frame) and they have lifetime warranties. As does Trek and other. Colnago clearly realizes their quality/quality control is crap.

AJS914

by AJS914

It's always been like this - about 30 years ago the wealthier guys in my club all went Italy and came back with titanium Colnagos. They all broke one by one just out of warranty which I think was one year back then. They were all SOL. At least these days, carbon is easily repairable. On this one, I would just glue it down since it's just a guide.

So, you roll the dice with imported Italian bikes with short warranties or you buy Trek/Spec with their lifetime warranties.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

It happened to my C60 also, I was denied warranty cause the paint and finishes are on le covers for 12 months...I ended up with some nail polish and epoxy...that was my third and final Colnago. Now happily on a trouble and stress free Argon 18 Gallium. Riding a 8000 grand (CAD) frame made me nervous every time I had to put it in the car , or riding in bunch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com