Bought a bike online, took it to the physical dealer, he torqued my carbon stem over 6 NM when the limit is 5 NM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eppteink

by eppteink

Should I go and ask for a carbon fork replacement. Is my security in danger? The bike was not cheap and the guy they had at the workshop clearly didnt know what he was doing.

ty :cry: :cry:

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Did it break? If so go back and demand as much
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PJCM

by PJCM

Any idea how far beyond 6Nm it was torqued to? Any sign of any damage to either stem or fork steerer?

spookyload

by spookyload

You will be fine unless you heard it go crunch, or you see physical damage.

Boshk

by Boshk

I'm sure there is a buffer in the torque limits.

Unless you see damage, I think you should be fine.

Usually people suggest around 10% less on torque unless you have a well calibrated torque wrench that you know is correct.
I think in UK or US, there are calibration machines at shops but in Hong Kong, they don't even know what those are.

5nm....I usually set 4nm plus that tiny amount more.

PS don't go back there, clearly he couldn't read the 5nm printed on your stem, which I believe most stems have printed on them.

TimmS

by TimmS

Maybe you should buy your next bike at a shop where they know what they are doing and are good at it...

mattr

by mattr

TimmS wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am
Maybe you should buy your next bike at a shop where they know what they are doing and are good at it...
Yeah, right. A very rare beast.

On the plus side, the OP has already elminated one of his LBSs from the "know what they are doing" list.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Oh FFS, get a hold of yourself.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Get in your panic room immediately. Carbons gonna bbbllooooooooowwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dricked

by dricked

Or learn how to put your own bike together?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

At least yours was torqued... I got my bike out of a shop once and they only snugged, not tightened the front 4 stem bolts... needless to say when I put the weight on the handlebars the bars rolled forward and I almost went flying not expecting that to happen...

My theory... trust no one...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

How in the world do you know that he torqued it to 6nm? If you know what nm are and precisely what this guy torqued your stem to, shouldn't you be building your own bike? Something doesn't add up here.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Haha, I did that myself once, put the plate on finger tight while getting the set up right and promptly forgot. Until the test ride, of course.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Zakalwe wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:39 pm
Haha, I did that myself once, put the plate on finger tight while getting the set up right and promptly forgot. Until the test ride, of course.
I did this once with all 20 bolts on my track car's wheels before heading onto the track. EXTREME pucker factor when you feel and hear a wheel rattling itself loose on the straight at over 120mph...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

:D

Anyway OP, the torque guideline written on your stem has nothing to do with your steerer tubes structural limit, with an expander plug in there it should be able to take significantly more than 5Nm. In fact, most people who set their bike up with a torque wrench will be applying much more than that just by adding some grease to the screw