Seatpost change to increase "comfort" on C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has an opinion here (!)

After a few months riding my winter bikes (steel Hampsten with fenders, now replaced by steel Breadwinner with disc brakes and fenders), I have had the opportunity to get back on my princess Colnago C60. I'm definitely finding its ride much more lively, but for whatever reason (age probably) I am really noticing that it beats me up a lot more on similar roads. I've tested it out using the same wheels (Hed Belgium Plus with Vittoria Corsa Control 25s) and saddle (Selle Italia Flite). Now obviously the geometry and material make a huge difference, lightweight steel with longish chainstays versus the Colnago geometry. I'm just wondering if I could possibly get any better comfort from a different seatpost? Obvioulsy the 31.6mm post is not known for being flexible....I knew this going in. But has anyone switched from one post to another and gained an appreciable change in comfort?

In terms of bigger tires, my C60 is a bit limited by its fork. Mine is the older version with a press-on race and it definitely has a bit less clearance at the crown. I can run the Vittoria 25s on the Belgium +, but a Conti is too big as it ends up being over 26mm high and 29mm wide. The Vittoria is just over 25 mm high and 28mm wide. I've actually considered replacing the fork with later generation version, or even the direct mount version if Colnago would sell it to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As for sheer comfort from frame, geometry, etc... it's going to be tough to match that of your longer wheelbased steel bikes etc., and I'm not sure that you're going to gain much of a difference from different seatposts. Perhaps if you got some thinner 27.2mm seatpost and used a shim to make it fit, but that just looks awful in my opinion. I like the size of the 31.6mm seatpost in the C60. I don't even like a C50 shimmed down to fit a 27.2mm seatpost from it's 28.0 size. I'm alos assuming your fit is ok, and that's not the source of your discomfort compared to your other bikes. If you think maybe your fit is a bit too agressive, perhaps get a stem with more of a rise to it. May not look as racy, but it might be more comfy.

Regarding your fork... I'm not sure your fork has any lesss clearance than the later C60's, although I do know there were a few versions being tested in the early days. But I have a friend who got one of the C60 forks on his C59, which they incorporateed to give the last run of the C59's a bit more clearance. Trouble was, they didn't change the rear to compensate, so while you could fit a bit bigger tire in there, you still couldn't fit the same tire in the rear. So, even if you have one of the very first C60 forks, I'm not so sure your current fork has any better clearance than a later model C60. For instance, I couldn't run my 27mm tubular Veloflex Vlanderens on my C60. They're very comfy tires, but for me personally, I actually prefer the 25's on the road. If you can fit 25's (I presume clinchers) on your Belgium + rims, then I think that might be as good as it gets for you. I'm pretty sure that I would probably not be able to run a Conti 25mm 4000sii clincher on a Belgium + rim, just as you say you can't either. With the C2 rim I probably could, but not with the wider rim... it would just sit too tall and likely be rubbing on the undersided of the fork crown.

I think maybe I'd try the Specialiazed Turbo Cottons in a 26mm. I have not used these tires personally yet, but have heard good things about them and will probalby test out both the 24mm and the 26mm tubular versions when I'm in need of tires again.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Thanks Cal. I think a big part of the equation here is just me getting old! I'll be 50 this November and I'm having a hard time accepting that my body is not what it once was. I have shortened my reach on all my bikes by 1 cm. My Colnago is a 54s and I was riding a 130 stem on her, but I"ve sized down to a 120. My steel bikes are a bit longer in the virtual, so I've gone 120 to 110 on them. I've also brought my bars up about 5 mm. My fit has been pretty constant for the past 25 years.... the only difference is that my saddle height has dropped small amounts as shoe/pedal technology has evolved to lower stacks. But age and abuse catches up to us all! Given that I only have about 16 cm from rail to seat clamp I cannot imagine a seatpost change is really going to do much, plus the matchy matchy would mean I could only swap to an Enve to match my bar/stem.

I agree on the seatpost shimming, I am not a fan of the look. I have a USE 31.6 to 27.2 shim kicking around from some older project, I just found it cleaning up the parts storage last week, but then I have to move the Di2 battery as well and this starts to become a PITA just to test it out.

I think we've discussed the tire clearance issue on C60s to death. My bike seems to have better clearance in the rear, I could run a Conti GP4000 in a 25 on the Belgium Plus, it's getting a bit close for comfort at the chainstay but perfectly rideable. But on the front I'm definitely scraping the crown.

c60rider

by c60rider

When I first had my C60 it had the Colnago seatpost and Bora 50s with 23mm Vittoria Corsa Gs along with a San Marco Regale carbon railed saddle. It killed my underneath on anything more than 2 hours ride on British lanes which are rough tar chipped things. The first thing I did was change the saddle to a San Marco aspide supercomfort and it made a world of difference and I could ride without problem. The saddle has Xsilite rails whatever that means but there's a bit more compliance in them and that along with the slight extra padding must absorb most of the road buzz that was coming through all of the rigidity of the previous set up straight into my rear end!

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You have more weight on rear tire so go for wider there if it fits.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

AJS914

by AJS914

I rode my Specialize Crux with it's 40mm tires @ 55psi all winter. I felt the same thing jumping back on my C59 last week. It felt so uncomfortable! But, of coruse, it's so much faster. You get used to it again. I started running less pressure on the C59 (80/90psi) on 23mm GP4000 (measure 25mm).

Core work and stretching really helps your cycling as you get older (I'm 51). It has cured my back and has made me more comfortable on the bike.

c60rider

by c60rider

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 pm
I rode my Specialize Crux with it's 40mm tires @ 55psi all winter. I felt the same thing jumping back on my C59 last week. It felt so uncomfortable! But, of coruse, it's so much faster. You get used to it again. I started running less pressure on the C59 (80/90psi) on 23mm GP4000 (measure 25mm).

Core work and stretching really helps your cycling as you get older (I'm 51). It has cured my back and has made me more comfortable on the bike.
+1 on the lower pressures. I'm on 23mm Vittorias and run 80 in the front 85 rears I'm 70kg and that's plenty hard enough

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Yeah I'm already in the lower pressure camp, I run 80F and 85R with the Vittoria Corsa Control 25 on HED Belgium +. When I throw on the Enve 3.4 clinchers with Conti GP4000 in a 23 I run 85F and 90R.

I definitely think a big part of this is perception. Once the Breadwinner B-Road arrived, I took the fenders off my old Hampsten, gave it a bit of a componentry refresh and on the dry days I've been riding it quite a bit. After 6 years of doing nothing but fender bike duty, removing the fenders are putting on some nice wheels (HED C2 on Dura-Ace hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and the Corsa Control tires), it feels like a new bike to me. It is so old school, maybe that is why I'm in love with it right now. It has a steel fork with a straight 1.125" steerer and very relaxed geometry. But it rides so plush, the smaller diameter steel tubing is just so smooth. I really noticed the difference when I'm on chipseal pavement, on the C60 I felt as though I felt every contour. I'm going to try going back to a Fizik Aliante on the C60, a saddle with which I have so much love/hate. But for sure it is more shock absorbing than the latest generation of Flite. I have both the carbon and K:ium railed versions, so I'll go with the metal rails first.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You have to do what’s best for you. But here’s something for you to think about. I’m 47 and I decided that comfort is my priority over stiffness and light weight. I recently had a custom Ti bike built for comfort as a priority. 42.5cm chainstays, a low BB drop, a sloping top tube, 27.2mm seatpost, a Trek Domane fork, and generally small diameter butted Ti tubings. The sloping top tube (11 degree slope) allowed for more seatpost showing, which allows for more seatpost flex. I got the Canyon suspension seatpost which is highly rated. The bike is a dream to ride and I honestly don’t think it’s any slower than my previous stiff carbon aero bike. So if you can’t fix the stiff ride of the Colnago maybe it’s time for a different bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

The obvious solution is that you need a C64 - more compliant, smaller diameter seatpost and will take larger tires than the C60. :-)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

AJS914 wrote:The obvious solution is that you need a C64 - more compliant, smaller diameter seatpost and will take larger tires than the C60. :-)
^^ Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

Can you comment on the Corsa Control. Sorry about the hijack. Mainly puncture resistance, and feel/wet grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You cannot manage it at all any longer, or it is just uncomfortable right now? Wait a couple of months and see if your body can re-adapt to it again before you go all old man endurance bike on it! I say this as a public service announcement to all 50-plus roadies out there. Stay aggro and sporty as long as you possibly can in this sport! Don't immediately go periscope stem at the first sign of discomfort. I am 51 and simply refuse to adjust my fit or geometry to adapt to an ageing body. I can still manage 10.8 cm of bar drop and one 5mm spacer. I refuse to give in. It is ok to be uncomfortable for short periods of time in your life! You are currently at the crossroads! You can either fight it or give in! Choose to fight for all of us! Stretching/core/long walks all help!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TonyM

by TonyM

+1!!!

mag

by mag

Few things that may help a little

Seatpost
27.2 seatpost would definitely help, though it won't look nice. Still if you're able to test it, give it a try at least to find out whether it's worth it.
There are some seatposts with increased comfort, those I know:
- Canyon VCLS (classic 1-piece, can be bought via ebay) / VCLS 2.0 (2-piece, more comfortable but looks ugly to me, also sold as Ergon CF3) - 27.2 only
- Ritchey WCS/SuperLogic FlexLogic - 27.2, 30.9, 31.6
- Niner RDO - 27.2, 30.9, 31.6
You may at least try those 30.9 mm ones which may look less ugly.
The Canyon works really well, but it's 27.2 mm only and good old VCLS (1.0) one may be harder to find.

Tires
Try as wide rear tires as possible.
Try going tubeless -> even lower pressure

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com