verve infocrank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm weighing up the idea of getting a power meter. The key reason is an easy way to identify improvements from training whilst also being on a very strict diet. I'm a die hard campagnolo man and therefore my options are limited as 4iii, pioneer and tried/tested stages offerings are mainly based around sram, Shimano or cannondale cranks. Whilst I don't specifically want a campagnolo carbon crank based power meter, I don't want Shimano or sram for aesthetic match reasons. I can't fit cannondale hollowgram to my bsa bb.

I'm interested in the 30mm axle infocrank with praxis bsa bb. Reviews online seem positive in that it is fairly hassle free once set up. The rather ugly cadence magnets now seem not necessary since a firmware upgrade in Jan.

Does anyone have any experience of the infocrank?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Stages makes a crank arm power meter for Campagnolo, or else try power2max in their Campagnolo offerings

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm interested in power2max. I'm not a fan of the hirth joint on 24mm campag cranks. I use overtorque 30mm which is great but now discontinued. I would love am overtorque power meter but it will never happen.

c60rider

by c60rider

I've got a Power2max NG and just had a Power2max type S 4 arm which they are selling off for a good price. I also purchased a Stages Super Record last September to go with my original 5 arm Campagnolo cranks. I would run a hundred miles from the Stages it was totally all over the place. I was able to put the Stages on the same bike as the P2M and pair them up with separate Garmin units and it confirmed that the stages was utterly useless using it for any real time data monitoring and the post ride data was equally out. The two P2Ms were pretty equal within a watt or 2 and they also matched up well with a quarq sram red I'd previously been using. The Stages was as much as 50% higher on maximum power, the 3 second average power was altering 1 or 2 watts per second on the P2Ms but on the stages would be up and down 10-15 watts and varying by 40 watts riding at the same gear and pedal revs. This was indoors so very controllable and consistent. The cadence was equally poor when riding at 95rpm counting myself the P2Ms were spot on Stages varying from under 90 to over 100 second to second. Fortunately buying it from Wiggle meant I've sent it back and they've refunded even 6 months on. I wouldn't go near Stages when you read the reviews, quite erratic. Pay the extra get a Power2max either the Type S or the NGeco. They're a very similar price but I haven't looked in detail what the actual difference is between them but the feedback from long term users and my use of them over 12 months is superb.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks c60rider. Definitely not interested in stages your experience seems fairly common. I've noticed 4iiii offer a praxis crank and bb which seems like great value for money.

silvalis

by silvalis

infocranks look terrible imo.
How about a rotor (with any of the pms on that system)
Chasse patate

beanbiken

by beanbiken

silvalis wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm
infocranks look terrible imo.
And damn heavy............

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

AJS914

by AJS914

I’ve never heard of people having a problem with the hirth joint.

Pioneer has a Potenza option if you are on a budget and you can get left, right, or dual.

Stages has a Chorus, Record option if you want carbon.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Infocranks need to be updated. BT support is incredibly convenient for anyone who supplements outdoor riding with indoor training platforms. It's just a much more robust protocol and works flawlessly with platforms like iOS. Battery life in magnetless mode is abysmal...and how are modern power meters still requiring magnets anyway?
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drizt

by Drizt

I find ant+ more reliable on trainers in my set up. My main gripes with my InfoCranks are shit battery life with no magnets and no support for 4 bolt rings. I miss shimano rings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I love my Zwift (didn tlove the 10 months wait for it, though) and was wondering if anyone made a Campagnolo to Shimano left crank adaptor, so I can put the Zwift on a Campag crank - essentially imagine a threaded hirth joint with the Shimano spilnes on the other end of it. Could actually get a machinist to make it for less than the difference in price between Shimano and Campag fitted left crank powermeters...would look fugly, with Campag on one side and Zwift the other, but is there a market fo rit??

Squint

by Squint

I've used an Infocrank for one season. Getting ready to replace it with the Shimano power meter.

I tried all 3 magnet mounts and none fit nicely on my frame. I get wacky L/R and max cadence readings that I might not get with magnets.

Battery life is abysmal and the bike really has to be laid on its side to replace the batteries. Both sides. Once a month.

With the latest firmware, the crank would go into blinking green light mode when I resume riding. That meant that I only had power until my first stop. Resetting it required removing the batteries.

Rolling back to the earlier firmware seemed to fix the problem but it started happening even with the old firmware after the latest battery change. The latest battery change has resulted in 3 rides without power and counting. Maybe it'll work tomorrow. Maybe. Remember that resetting the cranks involves laying the bike on one side, pulling the batteries, reinstalling them, flipping the bike over, and doing the same for the other side.

Right crank doesn't seem to be working or it's not talking to the left crank. I don't know how long this has been going on.

Shifting with Praxis rings doesn't seem to be very good. They're noisy and there are spontaneous shifts from the big to small ring. If I'm out of the saddle pedaling hard, that could be problematic. My next powermeter had to have Shimano rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Sounds like one unit to take off the list when shoping. Thanks for the feedback